- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (August 7)
- In attendance: @espellcaste @boonebgorges @johnjamesjacoby @dcavins & @im4th
- Slack archive
Here are three important dates about our next major version:
- First beta release: August 28.
- First release candidate: ~ September 16.
- 5.0.0 release: ~ September 30.
BP Invitations API
@dcavins has committed this new API to manage Invitations/Membership Requests across components. The first BP Component to enjoy it is naturally the Groups one. Many thanks and huge congratulations for the accomplished work 👏🤝. See #6210 for more details about it.
BP REST API
- He also adapted the Group Invites and the Group Membership Requests endpoints so that they are now using the BP Invitations API.
create_item()method of the Group Membership controller is now taking in charge the action to let members join a public group.
WP_REST_Server::DELETABLEmethods are now all returning an object with two keys. The first one informs about the success of the
DELETErequest and the second one contains the previous BP object as it existed before its deletion.
The content is almost ready! Documenting the Group Invites and the Group Membership Requests endpoints (the last ones) will be achieved before the beta release.
Making it available from BuddyPress.org is in very good hands @johnjamesjacoby will work on it asap to try to have it ready around beta release so that it should be easier for contributors to play with the BP REST API during our Beta/RC release steps.
How the BP REST API will be included into BuddyPress Core for this beta release?
To keep working from our BP REST GitHub repository to fix potential bugs / improvements, we will include it during our build process a bit like what happens today with BP CLI: see this comment on #7156 for more details.
- the BP REST API plugin, if active, will take over BuddyPress, making it easier to carry on maintaining it from GitHub during the Beta/RC time.
- If contributors are using trunk to beta test, they’ll need to
npm install & grunt buildto get the BP REST API into this build.
5.0.0 milestone’s remaining tickets
- #8046 & 8093 have been moved to next release.
- #8103 (BP Legacy Companion Stylesheet for Twenty Nineteen) is kept during the beta/RC to leave a last opportunity to include it before final release if it gets some contributions/testing.
- #8123 will be committed asap & before beta release.
Beta Release tasks
- @im4th will take in charge the beta release packaging
- @dcavins will try to post on this blog to introduce the BP Invitations API
- We still need to write the announcement post for BuddyPress.org. A draft for it is available on BuddyPress.org (the title is BuddyPress 5.0.0-beta1), don’t hesitate to add the information you think are important to mention. I’ll polish the writing part 🖼 📝