- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (October 16)
- In attendance: @espellcaste @boonebgorges @dcavins @im4th & @johnjamesjacoby
- Slack archive
The BuddyPress Blocks poll
- A block to share a post or a page via the Activity Stream (17 votes)
- A block to list the recently published posts from across your network (Exists as a widget) (13 votes)
- A block to display Sitewide Notices posted by the site administrator (Exists as a widget) (12 votes)
@johnjamesjacoby confirmed Widgets were obvious converts and @boonebgorges suggested to work on the block highlighting a single Group (10 votes) as a starting point. Highlighting a single group is not something we make possible yet and he confirmed it’s something people want. We’ve decided to:
- Start working on this block for 6.0.0 from a specific GitHub repository: BP Blocks
- Publish the full results and the decision above on BuddyPress.org
Moreover, we’re very happy to announce @karmatosed (Tammie Lister) will give us a hand about designing BuddyPress Blocks 😍 🙌
Before releasing this maintenance version to fix these issues, @im4th will package a 5.1.0-beta release so that we can test the BP Beta Tester plugin with a “real world” example. Once the results of this test are satisfying, we’ll publish the plugin on the WordPress.org directory.
BP REST API
@espellcaste shared the latest news about it. We’ve been talking about adding a controller to manage the Blogs avatar. Renato is wondering why we are falling back to the Blog’s Administrator’s avatar if the site does not include a Site icon. @dcavins thinks it only makes sense when displayed blogs are really “weblogs”. @im4th will soon create an issue on the GH repository of the BP REST API to explain why this fallback choice was made.
NB: To work on the Blogs avatars, we first need to have this ticket (#8150) fixed (in particular for the
get_item() controller’s method).
@espellcaste also talked about the historical dependency of users local avatars to the xProfile component. So far, it’s not possible to upload/delete a local avatar using the Member’s Avatar controller if the xProfile is inactive. As a result, the BP REST API documentation has been updated and 5.1.0 will move this controller’s loading into the xProfile component’s class. @im4th as he “promised” during the dev-chat has been working on trying to make the local avatar and the cover image Members features for 6.0.0. There’s already a first patch available for testing/review on this ticket (#8156).
@espellcaste finally talked about the decisions he made about developing a BP GraphQL API using the WP-GraphQL plugin: he’ll focus more on specific components rather than adding support to several components.
Tickets needing feedbacks
As there were only 5 minutes left, @im4th briefly announced the work he has been doing about moving the BP Devel site (this site) to a new Make.BuddyPress.org site (see #5525). This ticket contains screenshots and the needed plugins and themes to make it possible. Please have a look at this 🙏
2 other tickets are needing feedbacks: please have a look at them before our next dev-chat:
- #8148 A new direction regarding optional components management (using the WordPress.org Plugins API).
- #8153 BuddyPress survey for 2019.
PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!