- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (January 15, 2020)
- In attendance: @mercime @dcavins & @im4th
- Slack archive
- We agreed we need to keep questions from previous surveys to be able to compare results.
- Knowing which components are mostly used should help us to validate/improve the activation process. How could we improve/facilitate the BuddyPress setup process?
- We’d like to know how people choose to “display” BuddyPress content. Are they using a regular WordPress Theme with a template pack (and which one? Legacy or Nouveau?), are they using a BuddyPress standalone theme like BP Default ?
- We need to evaluate the idea of including a new full featured BuddyPress Theme.
- @im4th shared his wish to know what approach people prefer between BuddyPress bundled optional components Vs optional components as plugins (see #8148). @mercime noted that, in previous surveys, people usually ask to bundle new optional components or to include BuddyPress plugins into Core.
We shared some other potential questions during the meeting (What are you using BuddyPress for? Would you be willing to switch to a BP Specific Theme? What are must have customizations? What are the every BuddyPress installs components?…), @mercime will work on a first pass of the 2020 survey so that we can discuss about it during our next dev-chat.
New day of week for our dev-chat?
@im4th thanked again the members of the team who gave their preferences into the Doodle poll. We have a first important information: 19:00 UTC will stay our time of meeting. We are now waiting for @espellcaste preference about the day between these possible ones: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?
@dcavins is making good progress about Network invites and membership requests and is confident this feature will land into the 6.0.0 release.
@im4th shared his progress about BP Blocks and thanked @karmatosed for her great help contributing to design sketches of the single Member and single Group blocks. BuddyPress 6.0.0 will include these 2 blocks. Here are 3 early screenshots of what could look like the Member one.
6.0.0 schedule & main features
- First beta at the end of march.
- Final release at the end of April.
- Main Features:
- BP REST API remaining endpoints
- BP Blocks
- Network invitation & Membership requests
- & maybe some surprises!
Next dev chat
PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!