- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (November 18, 2020)
- In attendance: @vapvarun @dcavins @johnjamesjacoby @im4th
- Slack archive
7.0.0 release tasks progress
We started the dev chat chacking our progress about our next major release tasks.
|BP REST API documentation updates||@im4th||100%|
|BP Survey results||@im4th||100%|
|7.0.0 Release note||@vapvarun||100%|
|7.0.0 Credits update:|
– BuddyPress Trac
– BP REST GitHub repository
|7.0.0 Pizza Restaurant name||@dcavins||🤫|
|7.0.0 Announcement post||@im4th||20%|
7.0.0 second release candidate
The main goal of this release candidate is to beta test improvements brought to the BP Nouveau’s compatibility with the WordPress 5.6 new default theme “Twenty Twenty-One” (see #8395). @im4th insisted on the fact it was important to make sure text was readable in both modes : dark and light and as the 7.0.0 final release will happen one or two days after WordPress 5.6, it’s important BuddyPress looks nice in Twenty Twenty-One. The initial patch attached to the ticket is using the companion stylesheet feature so that styles are only loaded for this theme or this theme’s child themes.
@vapvarun said he would test the patch asap and that he would probably improve it. That’s what he did a few days after the development meeting.
The RC2 was released very soon after.
7.0.0 release schedule update
- 7.0.0-RC1: November 20 (string freeze).
- 7.0.0-RC2: December 2nd
- 7.0.0: December
We still need to finish the announcement post of the release, so we couldn’t have it packaged to the scheduled date 😞. As soon as it is ready, we will package it. Thanks in advance for your comprehension.
Topics we’ve been talking about:
- How to find ways to get more contributors to beta test BuddyPress? @vapvarun suggested:
- Write a todo list about tasks to achieve for next release (8.0)
- Improve documentation about BP support for themes
- Make template customization easier for users (WP FSE?)
- Possible 8.0 early tasks: #7162 & working on giving more control to the user about the registration form (allowing users to select what xProfile fields to use in this form).
- What about having a new BP Standalone theme? @johnjamesjacoby shared his wishes about it:
- a 3 columns bp-default looking “chat app” theme.
- It’s time to take advantage of all the work that’s gone into BuddyPress since the beginning, and use that to rethink what a “bp-default” looking theme would be today.
- It should be responsive and use the BP REST API.
- What about having a BP Specific area into WP Admin to manage every feature?