- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (April 28, 2021)
- In attendance: @vapvarun @johnjamesjacoby @espellcaste @im4th
- Slack archive
@vapvarun checked our support forum and hasn’t found concerning feedbacks relative to this release.
@im4th replied to one of the comments that was posted on the announcement post about the next WordPress Full Site Editing (FSE) & Widgets Block Editor features. He tested the first one before our meeting and told us about his concerns during the chat. In short it’s a breaking change for the BuddyPress Theme Compat API. A pretty long discussion took place between @johnjamesjacoby @im4th and @vapvarun about it. We finally decided to open a very important ticket on our Trac to decide whether it’s on BuddyPress or FSE to adapt. If you have an opinion about it, please take a few minutes to share it with us.
8.0.0 tickets needing attention
- About the
bp_core_new_nav_default()function ticket (#8471), we decided we were too close to release date to do the necessary tests to be sure the patch doesn’t introduce some regression
- About the BP Directory pages ticket (#8470), we think it’s best to split the ticket in 2 and deal with admin information on the Registration/Activation page during 8.0.0
- @im4th wants to finish his audit regarding #8459 before packaging a new beta release.
- @espellcaste reminded us about the GitHub Actions ticket (#8421). He agreed with @im4th about only committing the PHP Unit tests part.
- We also punted the ticket about including PHPCS to our build tools (#7228) to leave us the time to discuss more about it as we don’t agree all about when to check WP PHP code standards (before committing or as soon as patching). The latter could possibly discourage people to submit patches in @im4th‘s opinion. Feel free to give us your opinion about it, commenting on the ticket.
- Finally about the remaining release tasks (#8468). @vapvarun will take care of the changelog and @im4th will prepare the credits update.
8.0.0 updated schedule
We agreed to build a new beta release before our release candidate. @im4th will take care of it next week.
- ✅ 8.0.0-beta1: April 29,
- 8.0.0-beta2: ~ May 19,
- 8.0.0 stable release: June 2.
PS: we count on you to test the 8.0.0 beta release!