- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (July 06, 2022)
- In attendance: @dcavins @im4th
- Slack archive.
11.0.0 latest updates
- #8687: improving the way we load deprecated functions. @dcavins & @im4th had a new discussion about the updated patch @im4th suggested. The new logic is still to only load the last 2 versions deprecated functions in case BuddyPress was upgraded. Improvements were made about dealing with the
BP_IGNORED_DEPRECATEDconstant. If set to
true: no deprecated functions are loaded, if set to false all are loaded. @dcavins also thinks we’re going into the right direction. The ticket has been fixed since July 26, 2022. Please read this commit message for more information about it.
add_filter( 'bp_enqueue_assets_in_bp_pages_only', '__return_true' );– and keep us updated so that we can safely switch to restricting assets loading during the 12.0.0 development cycle. Have a look at this commit message to know more about it.
- #8052: improving how
new_blog_postactivities content is generated. To go straight to the point: opening the corresponding post should be more intuitive. Links to it were added to the title, featured image and “more link” of the activity content. This “read more” link is generated using the WordPress
the_content_more_linkfilter which means if your theme is using this filter to adapt the “read more” link, these adaptations will also be applied to the activity “read more” link. Have a look at a preview of how it will look soon:
11.0.0 Tickets needing feedbacks
- #8604 Richer logging activities display according to context.
.webpimage support for user profile images & user cover images.
- #4535 Avoid loading duplicates when clicking on the Load More button.
During the development meeting @dcavins wisely advised to check the number of the WordPress version when the
.webp image support were added. After checking, it was in WordPress 5.8. As BuddyPress 11.0.0 will support WordPress back to its 5.7 version, we’ll need to include a version check to the patch.
BP reNouveau and BP Activity Block Editor demo
We’ve used the private audio/video chat feature of slack to run this demo. It worked pretty well! People who attended to it were able to see our latest progress about both features and they look very promising 🤩. About the new template pack, you can follow our progress from this ticket. About the BP Activity Block Editor, @im4th will soon make it testable from a BuddyPress GitHub repository. The achieved worked so far on both features already brought some interesting improvements to our BP REST API (See PRs #447 & #448).
11.0.0 schedule reminder
- First beta: October 19, 2022.
- Release: December 14, 2022.
It will happen on August 03 at 19:30 UTC in #BuddyPress. If you have specific points you want to discuss about, don’t hesitate to share them in comments.