BP Dev Chat Summary: February 12, 2020

BuddyPress Survey

@mercime shared her progress about her first pass on the BuddyPress survey for 2020 (see #8153). She prepared 16 questions.

  • We’ll use CrowdSignal to publish the survey.
  • On a side note @johnjamesjacoby suggested BuddyPress could have a lightweight Questionnaire component, @im4th believes it’s a great idea !
  • @mercime shared with all of us the questions she worked on after the dev-chat. Please take some time to review it before our next dev-chat

BuddyPress dev-chat are maintained on every other wednesday at 1900 UTC.

Unfortunately @espellcaste can’t join us on all the alternative days of week we’ve found into the doodle 😦 As the result it doesn’t worth changing our dev-chat meeting day/time.

6.0.0 Progress

@dcavins is making good progress about Network invites (#8139). He’s getting some inspiration from the Invite Anyone plugin. @im4th asked if it would be possible to invite a user not yet registered to the site to join it using a group invite, and the reply is yes 🙌

@im4th confirmed BuddyPress 6.0.0 will ship 2 Blocks and shared his progress about the Group Block. Here are 3 early screenshots of how it could look like :

The team also shared their thoughts about whether we should ship the JavaScript built blocks or include the complete JavaScript source files into trunk and build the Production scripts from there. At the minimum we’ll need to move to using WP CLI to generate our POT file so that JavaScript translations are available within GlotPress. @im4th will work on this asap from this trac ticket #8048.

Finaly we’ve talked about the fact the project behind the JavaScript library we are using for our suggestions feature is no longer maintained. We shared thoughts about moving to the Tribute library and using the BP REST API instead of AJAX. So far there are no impacts on the suggestions feature and we are taking some more time to think about it, having in mind we could also benefit from the BP AutoCompleter React component we’ve built for our 2 BP Blocks.

6.0.0 schedule & main features

  • Schedule:
    • First beta at the end of march.
    • Final release at the end of April.
  • Main Features:
    • BP REST API remaining endpoints
    • BP Blocks ✅
    • Network invitation & Membership requests
    • & maybe some surprises!

Next dev chat

It will happen in 2 days on February 26 at 19:00 UTC and of course in #BuddyPress.

PS1: sorry it took me so long to write this summary 😬

PS2: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!

#6-0-0

BP Dev Chat Summary: January 29, 2020

BuddyPress Survey

@mercime asked for the questions we’d like to include for this new version of the survey (see #8153). In other words, what do we need to know from BuddyPress users to help us in our decisions?

  • We agreed we need to keep questions from previous surveys to be able to compare results.
  • Knowing which components are mostly used should help us to validate/improve the activation process. How could we improve/facilitate the BuddyPress setup process?
  • We’d like to know how people choose to “display” BuddyPress content. Are they using a regular WordPress Theme with a template pack (and which one? Legacy or Nouveau?), are they using a BuddyPress standalone theme like BP Default ?
  • We need to evaluate the idea of including a new full featured BuddyPress Theme.
  • @im4th shared his wish to know what approach people prefer between BuddyPress bundled optional components Vs optional components as plugins (see #8148). @mercime noted that, in previous surveys, people usually ask to bundle new optional components or to include BuddyPress plugins into Core.

We shared some other potential questions during the meeting (What are you using BuddyPress for? Would you be willing to switch to a BP Specific Theme? What are must have customizations? What are the every BuddyPress installs components?…), @mercime will work on a first pass of the 2020 survey so that we can discuss about it during our next dev-chat.

New day of week for our dev-chat?

@im4th thanked again the members of the team who gave their preferences into the Doodle poll. We have a first important information: 19:00 UTC will stay our time of meeting. We are now waiting for @espellcaste preference about the day between these possible ones: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?

6.0.0 Progress

@im4th began to talk about the many PHP/JavaScript code standards patches that has been submitted by new contributors such as Passionate, WPAmitkumar, Mukesh27. Thanks a lot for your work and feel free to carry on helping us.

@dcavins is making good progress about Network invites and membership requests and is confident this feature will land into the 6.0.0 release.

@im4th shared his progress about BP Blocks and thanked @karmatosed for her great help contributing to design sketches of the single Member and single Group blocks. BuddyPress 6.0.0 will include these 2 blocks. Here are 3 early screenshots of what could look like the Member one.

6.0.0 schedule & main features

  • Schedule:
    • First beta at the end of march.
    • Final release at the end of April.
  • Main Features:
    • BP REST API remaining endpoints
    • BP Blocks
    • Network invitation & Membership requests
    • & maybe some surprises!

Next dev chat

It will happen next week on February 12 at 19:00 UTC (unless @espellcaste informs us about his preferred day 😉soon) and of course in #BuddyPress.

PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!

#6-0-0

BP Dev Chat Summary: January 15, 2020

Main features for 6.0.0

BP REST API (improvements and remaining endpoints)

@espellcaste has been working on fixing some issues posted on the GH repository. With @im4th they discussed quite a time about one specific issue that is now resolved (many thanks to @espellcaste for his work on it 💪). About the tasks scheduled for 6.0.0, you can take a look at this GH project. Here are the remaining endpoints:

  • Member’s cover endpoint
  • Group’s cover endpoint
  • Friends endpoint
  • Blogs endpoint
  • Blog’s cover endpoint
  • Blog’s avatar endpoint
  • Signups endpoint

FYI this Core ticket should also be fixed for 6.0.0: #8156 (Move Avatar into the Members component).

BP Blocks

@karmatosed has shared sketches and thoughts about the first 2 BuddyPress blocks we will add in 6.0.0:

@im4th will start working asap on the first implementations of these 2 blocks building an autocomplete control to select the member or the group to display. @dcavins suggested this could be a good opportunity to review our Suggestion API so that it uses the BP REST API.

Network invitations & Membership requests.

@dcavins will work to make it happen in 6.0.0, you can still add your feedbacks on this ticket #8139.

Surprises!

@mercime & @im4th will also try to work on some surprises for this next release. We are keeping the features secret for now 😂

Core improvements

@im4th also shared his wish to use WordPress Rewrites instead of our legacy way of building URLs, see #4954. A possible way of progressing about it could be to use a plugin… He will look into it to see if it needs some Core adjustments.

BuddyPress survey

Discussing about the previous points took us a while and we decided to talk about the survey during our next dev-chat.

Open floor

@espellcaste cannot attend our dev-chats at the date/time they are scheduled. I’ve published this doodle to let us try to find a new day / time of the week for our meetings. I’ve left the current day / time: choose it if you prefer to leave the day / time unchanged.

6.0.0 schedule & main features

  • Schedule:
    • First beta at the end of march.
    • Final release at the end of April.
  • Main Features:
    • BP REST API remaining endpoints
    • BP Blocks
    • Network invitation & Membership requests
    • & maybe some surprises!

Next dev chat

It will happen next week at the time/date we decide replying to this doodle (and of course in #BuddyPress).

PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!

#6-0-0

BP Dev Chat Summary: December 18, 2019

5.1.0 summary/feedbacks

The maintenance release has been published on December 9. The download spike happened on December 10 with 24125 downloads (a bit more than the amount we got when releasing 5.0.0).

This was the first time @im4th used the edited steps of our prelaunch checklist to deploy the release on WordPress.org. He confirmed these edits made sure the POT file (used to generate translations) has been updated the right way on GlotPress.

No specific support topics has been posted about this release so far.

The 6.0.0 development cycle’s schedule

  • First beta at the end of march.
  • Final release at the end of April.

Open floor

BuddyPress survey 2020

With @mercime ‘s help we’re going to organize a new survey early next year (#8153). Results will be published shortly before 6.0.0’s first beta. @dcavins thinks it would be great to include questions relative to the direction @johnjamesjacoby suggested to take about theme/templates (see previous dev chat summary for details). @im4th requested to find questions to help us figure out if #8148 is a good idea or an absolute no go.

Upgrade tasks

@dcavins shared his concerned about the reliability of our upgrade routines (See #8141). Instead of doing these upgrade tasks at first admin load, he suggested to move these tasks into the Tools Administration Screen where we already have some maintenance features in there. With @im4th they discussed about a possibility to run these tasks in smaller steps using JavaScrip and AJAX or REST requests.

Merry Christmas to the BuddyPress Community!

🎄🎁

#5-0-0, #6-0-0

BP Dev Chat Summary: December 4, 2019

5.1.0

A maintenance release will be packaged at the beginning of next week (December 9).

BP Beta Tester

The first version of the plugin has been deployed on the WordPress.org repository. An announcement has been published on BuddyPress.org. A first issue has been raised and @im4th will work on fixing it asap. If you want to contribute to this plugin (you’re very welcome), please make sure to share your issues or pull requests into its GitHub repository.

BuddyPress blocks

The full results of the poll and information about the BP Blocks GitHub repository has been published on BuddyPress.org.

@im4th will work on preparing the data stores for the Groups and Members component and @karmatosed will soon share sketches to help us on the design part.

6.0.0 and up

Tickets needing feedbacks

Moving the BP Devel site (this site) to a new Make.BuddyPress.org site (see #5525). There’s now a test drive you can use to contribute to the BuddyPress contributor documentation or to review the developments made so far. You can read more about it from here.

@im4th insisted to have feedbacks about #8156: Move the Local Avatar and Cover Image features into the Members component. He’d like to early commit the changes and inform about them as there are some functions and hooks to deprecate. The good news is : there’s no need to edit existing templates.

@dcavins would be very happy to get feedbacks about #8139 and @espellcaste will work on #8173 during this development cycle.

A full featured standalone BuddyPress Theme

This is @johnjamesjacoby ‘s plan to improve our users experiences and captivate a new audience. It would be a 3-columns social layout theme (that’s become the obvious go-to for everything from Slack to VSCode).

the original “bp-sn-parent” theme, read more about it here.

In his opinion, the original “bp-sn-parent” theme was what originally attracted many folks to BuddyPress, 10 years ago. It was opinionated, design wise, pretty, and it showcased everything that it could do all at once.

As we are still shipping the BP Default theme and as we kept BuddyPress compatible with standalone BuddyPress themes, it should be easy to replace BP Default or give him a new neighbour into the bp-themes directory of the built BuddyPress.

Finally it could be developed from GitHub. @im4th & @vapvarun volunteered to give a hand. @johnjamesjacoby will soon write a ticket about it on BP Trac.

Next dev-chat

It will happen on December 18 at 19:00 UTC in #BuddyPress.

PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!

#5-0-0, #6-0-0

BP Dev Chat Summary: October 30, 2019

Actions

The BuddyPress Blocks poll

@im4th shared the final result of the poll. There was 161 votes and top results are mostly corresponding to existing widgets. Here are the “top expected blocks” :

  1. A block to share a post or a page via the Activity Stream (17 votes)
  2. A block to list the recently published posts from across your network (Exists as a widget) (13 votes)
  3. A block to display Sitewide Notices posted by the site administrator (Exists as a widget) (12 votes)

@johnjamesjacoby confirmed Widgets were obvious converts and @boonebgorges suggested to work on the block highlighting a single Group (10 votes) as a starting point. Highlighting a single group is not something we make possible yet and he confirmed it’s something people want. We’ve decided to:

  • Start working on this block for 6.0.0 from a specific GitHub repository: BP Blocks
  • Merge the « JavaScript built » blocks into BuddyPress Core to avoid adding too much node modules to it.
  • Publish the full results and the decision above on BuddyPress.org

Moreover, we’re very happy to announce @karmatosed (Tammie Lister) will give us a hand about designing BuddyPress Blocks 😍 🙌

5.1.0

Before releasing this maintenance version to fix these issues, @im4th will package a 5.1.0-beta release so that we can test the BP Beta Tester plugin with a “real world” example. Once the results of this test are satisfying, we’ll publish the plugin on the WordPress.org directory.

BP REST API

@espellcaste shared the latest news about it. We’ve been talking about adding a controller to manage the Blogs avatar. Renato is wondering why we are falling back to the Blog’s Administrator’s avatar if the site does not include a Site icon. @dcavins thinks it only makes sense when displayed blogs are really “weblogs”. @im4th will soon create an issue on the GH repository of the BP REST API to explain why this fallback choice was made.

NB: To work on the Blogs avatars, we first need to have this ticket (#8150) fixed (in particular for the get_item() controller’s method).

@espellcaste also talked about the historical dependency of users local avatars to the xProfile component. So far, it’s not possible to upload/delete a local avatar using the Member’s Avatar controller if the xProfile is inactive. As a result, the BP REST API documentation has been updated and 5.1.0 will move this controller’s loading into the xProfile component’s class. @im4th as he “promised” during the dev-chat has been working on trying to make the local avatar and the cover image Members features for 6.0.0. There’s already a first patch available for testing/review on this ticket (#8156).

@espellcaste finally talked about the decisions he made about developing a BP GraphQL API using the WP-GraphQL plugin: he’ll focus more on specific components rather than adding support to several components.

Tickets needing feedbacks

As there were only 5 minutes left, @im4th briefly announced the work he has been doing about moving the BP Devel site (this site) to a new Make.BuddyPress.org site (see #5525). This ticket contains screenshots and the needed plugins and themes to make it possible. Please have a look at this 🙏

@dcavins also reminded everyone he was expecting more feedbacks about his ticket dealing with “Network Invitations and Membership Requests” (see #8139). Thanks in advance for looking at it 👀

2 other tickets are needing feedbacks: please have a look at them before our next dev-chat:

  • #8148 A new direction regarding optional components management (using the WordPress.org Plugins API).
  • #8153 BuddyPress survey for 2019.

Next dev-chat

It will happen on November 13 at 18:00 UTC in #BuddyPress.

PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!

#5-0-0, #6-0-0

BP Dev Chat Summary: October 16, 2019

The Dev Chat started 20 minutes late: we’re not completely used to the new meeting time (NB: 18:00 UTC every other wednesday)

“Think”

The BuddyPress Blocks poll

@im4th posted the poll on this site and into a topic of the BuddyPress forums on October 10. After 6 days, the community participation is very week. It’s difficult to figure out what are people expectations. Here are the “top blocks” :

  • A block to share a post or a page via the Activity Stream (14 votes)
  • A block to list the recently published posts from across your network (Exists as a widget) (13 votes)
  • A block to dynamicaly list the recently active, popular, newest, or alphabetical groups (Exists as a widget) (11 votes)
  • A block to display Sitewide Notices posted by the site administrator (Exists as a widget) (11 votes)

The least we can say is there doesn’t seem to be a great enthousiasm for BuddyPress Blocks… As JJJ said maybe “the concept of BuddyPress blocks is not an easy one”.

How can we improve the way users get help?

This is a subject we couldn’t talk about during previous dev chat. There are a lot of topics posted on forums, and a lot are remaining without replies. @johnjamesjacoby thinks and I guess he’s right:

I believe, in general, the more activity there is from BuddyPress maintainers on the site, the more that others are likely to engage with us and each other.

So the first thing we can do is to try to contribute ourselves to forum replies as much as we can. Then here are the other ideas we had :

  • A styling refresh of the homepage and forums area.
  • Add some self care content. Eg: the replies to common issues users may encounter when starting with BuddyPress.
  • Moving the “bpdevel site” (this site) to a new make.BuddyPress.org site might help to bring some new contributors to forums. (@im4th announced he will soon share the work he has been doing about this project).

Let’s organize a BuddySesh!

To follow up the nice discussion @im4th had with David Bisset (@dimensionmedia) we’ve been briefly talking about this possible way of gathering BuddyPress contributors from all around the world for a day of conferences / chats. We’ll come back on the subject with David once the WordCamp US is behind us as he’s pretty busy contributing to its Programming team.

“Do”

BuddyPress Beta Tester plugin (& 5.1.0 minor release)

The GitHub repository for the BuddyPress Beta Tester plugin has been published. According to @im4th‘s tests, it’s working fine. To test it with a real Beta Version, @im4th suggested to soon package a 5.1.0-beta. We’ll need to publish it on the WordPress.org official directory once we feel it’s ready.

BP REST API

@espellcaste made great progress about the remaining endpoints of the BP REST API. There are now 3 more endpoints available for testing using the BP REST API Plugin :

BuddyPress Survey for 2019

@im4th suggested to carry on doing the survey @mercime used to do every year for a while now. The last one was done at the end of 2017 for 2018.

Next dev-chat

It will happen on October 30 at 18:00 UTC in #BuddyPress. Friendly reminder that we moved our dev-chat time to one hour earlier, 🙏 don’t miss it!

PS: if you have ideas or questions, feel free (and we are strongly encouraging you) to comment this summary to share them!

#5-0-0, #6-0-0