General Summary as of February 6, 2017

Apologies for not posting updates here lately. This is a compilation of all the dev chats for January 4, 11, 18, 25, and February 1 plus relevant activities.

BuddyPress 2.8

BP 2.8 Trac

BP Email: Allow end user to specify which PHPMailer should be used (#7286). @djpaul has committed patch to trunk.

Alphabetical sorting in the group widget (#7313). @dcavins has committed patch to trunk.

Make group search more flexible (#7418). @dcavins has committed patch to trunk.

Use BP_Groups_Group::get() where possible (#7419). @dcavins has committed patch to trunk.

get_group_extras function doesn’t “respects” the user_id variable from groups_get_groups() function (#6431). Ticket punted to Future Release.

BP 2.8 – Prevent loading if PHP < 5.3 (#7277). @boonebgorges has commited patch to trunk.

Add View link for users on BP Signups page (#7261). @slaFFik has committed patch to trunk.

Group Types Default Pagination Broken (#7423). @r-a-y has committed patch to trunk.

When user is not logged , in he/she clicks email link to view new messages gets 404 page when should get login page (#7349). Ticket punted to BP 2.9.

XProfile: use filterable field input name in radio/checkbox field type (#7425). @offereins has committed patch to trunk.

Group and member template functions should check current group/member as well (#3842). Ticket punted to Future Release.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object (#7329). @r-a-y has committed patch to trunk.

Welcome Screen for 2.8.0 (#7426). Under construction.

Hook for custom email type schema (#7431). @DJPaul has committed patch to trunk.

Update and fix all the NPM things (#7429). Ticket punted to BP 2.9.

XProfile: a group’s first field becomes last after save (#7428). @offereins has committed patch to trunk.

BuddyCamp Miami, March 24, 2017

WordCamp Miami hosts BuddyCamp for the 6th time and this year, expect a REST API workshop along with interesting BuddyPress topics in this single full-day event.

As of Feb. 6, topics for the “BuddyCamp + REST API” track on Friday, March 24th, include:

  • “BuddyPress 101: What You Need To Know” by David Laietta
  • “Taming BuddyPress” by Tanner Moushey
  • “A BuddyPress Case Study” by Tara Claeys
  • “How To Build A WordPress/BuddyPress Mobile App” by Brian Messenlehner
  • “The State of BuddyPress” by John James Jacoby
  • “Working With The WordPress REST API” by Joseph Van
  • …more speakers and surprises to come!

WordCamp Miami 2017 will be held over the course of three days, March 24-26, at Florida International University.

Initial list of speakers for the BuddyCamp + REST API Track on March 24. Top row, L – R: David Laietta, John James Jacoby, Tanner Moushey. Bottom row, L – R: Joseph Van, Brian Messenlehner, Tara Claeys. (Image from WordCamp Miami 2017 site)

#dev-chat

Dev Chat Summaries for December 21 & 28, 2016

BP 2.8 Trac Tickets

BP 2.8 – Prevent loading if PHP < 5.3 (#7277) @boonebgorges has patch. Dev feedback requested (esp. @johnjamesjacoby & @djpaulgibbs).

Removal of `create_function` usage for BP 2.8 (#7325) @tw2113 has patches.

Anonymize BP Core Dependency functions file. (#7335) Closed as wontfix.

`groups_promote_member()` shouldn’t attempt to fetch ⁠⁠⁠⁠BP_Core_User⁠⁠⁠⁠ object (#7382) Patch needs unit tests. Assigned to @boonebgorges.

Add a “buddypress” class to body element of wp-admin (#7353) @slaffik has committed fix to trunk.

Component Maintainers

@slaffik will be contacting everyone who volunteered to maintain BP components in Trac.

@dcavins would like notifications from Trac for new tickets under the Group components. He mentioned different workarounds like getting Slack notifications for the Groups component to getting the RSS feed from Trac for the specific component. @johnjamesjacoby: “We’d need to merge into our Trac what’s already in WordPress Trac. That’s probably Dion and/or Nacin.” @netweb noted after the chat that there’s a ticket in Meta Trac to get this underway.

🥂 Wishing Everyone a Happy & Prosperous New Year! 🥂

Slack logs:
Dec. 21 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1482350517001398
Dec. 28 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1482955219002247

#7277, #7325, #7335, #7353, #7382, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for November 2, 2016

BuddyPress 2.7.2

@johnjamesjacoby packaged and released BuddyPress 2.7.2 on November 4, 2016. This is a maintenance release and a recommended upgrade.

BuddyPress 2.8.0

Schedule

  • January 4, 2017 – Beta 1
  • January 18, 2017 – Release Candidate 1 (string freeze)
  • January 25, 2017 – Target release date

@slaffik, the 2.8 Release Lead whose “developer heart loves things like PHP5.3+ and changed focus in development”, would like to focus on the following:
1. Components with highest tasks number – because people care about them the most
2. Components with lowest tasks number – because they are good candidates to become 0-tasks, which is cool for Trac health
3. Working UI for developer features started development in 2.6 and 2.7
4. Security – He will dive into this topic as he developed a huge interest recently and will do an audit.

His ultimate goal is to decrease the number of tickets (650+) in Trac by 50%. Responding to @boonebgorges‘ question how he planned to meet that goal aside from own labor, @slaffik wrote that he is looking into implementing the concept of BP Component Maintainers which @offereins volunteered to set up a few months ago at Google Docs.

@djpaulgibbs cautioned, “I’m not sure most of the tickets in the Future Release milestone have been looked at in a long time, and I bet most of them are not assigned to the best Component (many probably pre-date the current lists of Components) so maybe we want to review them all first.”

@slaffik also would like to see improvements made on BuddyPress.org and codex.buddypress.org “but first I need to install all that locally and play a bit and see how things are working.”

developer.buddypress.org
@dcavins: “I’d love to see the new documentation site @tw2113 has been working on go public.”
@tw2113: “Regarding the dev site, a lot of me wants to say let’s get it set up and manually run for now, and we can work on automation later on. Perhaps get it logged in only access at developer.buddypress.org and have everyone start doing final QA.”

Caching improvements
@boonebgorges: “I don’t have any particular pet projects in mind for 2.8, but I plan to be around to help with miscellaneous stuff. Maybe more caching improvements.”

Build tooling, Behat, wp-admin area
@djpaulgibbs: I’m planning to help iterate on the build tooling. And continue to work on a test suite around Behat, which I’ve been doing for the last 3 months, but I don’t know if it’ll get ready enough in time for 2.8 consideration. Also the wp-admin area / welcome screens, @mercime and I have discussed them a bunch in a past. There’s so much we could do there. Maybe that’s something we could look at.”

BuddyPress Types UI
@boonebgorges: @dcavins started work on admin UI for group/member type creation. I’ve started to dig into it myself, and that could be a good kickoff for improved wp-admin stuff.
@dcavins: The first-draft code so far is publicly available at https://github.com/dcavins/bp-types-ui. Once @boonebgorges has worked it over, I imagine it will move to its original repo at https://github.com/buddypress/bp-types-ui.

Accessibility
@mercime: On my end, work on improving accessibility continues. Btw, one survey participant thanked us for a11y improvements. @boonebgorges: The a11y improvements are huge – aside from being the right thing to do, they also make it easier to sell BP with confidence to organizations that are legally required to meet certain a11y standards.
@mercime: There’s lots more to do, but it can be done. The most challenging area would be the xProfile draggable fields in wp-admin, I will do that last.

BP REST-API
@boonebgorges: “I have been working with @bronsonquick to work up a kickoff for the project. It’s been slow going because of scheduling issues between the two of us. I would like to do a public kickoff in the next few weeks, even if I have to prep the documents myself. We have some ideas for a proposed outline and work plan, which we want to bring to the community for feedback.
“Phasing in support over several releases. Prioritizing certain components and prioritizing read vs read-write with an eye toward selecting a couple of projects as good first implementations (which will guide the endpoint strategy). Anyway, I’ll work on getting that initial document ready, and then I’ll work with @slaffik to schedule a meeting where we can talk about the path forward. The purpose of preparing a document is just so we have a starting point for conversation – all the decisions will be made in the open.”

BP Follow, Component Loading
@rayisme: “For 2.8, I’m keen on #7218 for the time being. There was a ticket talking about folding BP Follow into Core, which I’ve been meaning to reply to (and will), but there are a couple of technical ideas in BP Follow that conflicts with other tickets.”

2016 BuddyPress Survey for Site Builders and Developers

The survey is will be open till November 30, 2016. Some updates from those who have responded so far:

  • Six survey participants have already expressed interest in sharing how they are using BuddyPress.
  • All respondents are using PHP versions 5.3 and above.
  • One respondent appreciated accessibility improvements.

@johnjamesjacoby noted, “I like the idea of putting the survey front & center on BuddyPress.org, the same way WordPress.org does.” @mercime will prepare patch for the survey banner.

Your feedback is most welcome! https://buddypress.org/2016/11/2016-buddypress-survey-site-builders-developers/

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1478113373000026

#7218, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for August 25, 2016

Trac Tickets

Date xprofile field enhancement (#5500) @boonebgorges has patch and sought feedback for:
a) modeling settings data on ⁠⁠⁠⁠BP_XProfile_Field⁠⁠⁠⁠ and ⁠⁠⁠⁠_Type⁠⁠⁠⁠ — @djpaulgibbs “It would be nice to pass the data to it to handle, if possible, rather than have to touch a global.”
b) what do we think of interface for date ranges? — @djpaulgibbs “The UI is nice”. @rayisme “I’m trying to figure out the use case for relative ranges”. @mercime reported a bug.

Extract & relocate core markup functions: Theme compat include functionality & search forms file (#6844) Feedback sought. @boonebgorges has assigned it to himself for review.

Select All link missing in BuddyPress Menu Selection (#5260) Testing needed for this to be committed.

Implement user capabilities for Activity component (#7176) @djpaulgibbs “I’m hopeful someone can come in and drop a knowledge bomb” (roles and capabilities). @boonebgorges has added this ticket to his review list 🙂 @rayisme informed us that he created WP trac ticket “that would probably make dynamic caps easier to implement – https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32316.”

Fatal error – Call to undefined function wp_generate_password() in bp-core\bp-core-options.php on line 77 (#7227) @rayisme has patch. Dev feedback needed.

@mentions break instagram oembeds if same username exists on site as instagram (#7084) @websupporter has dug deep into the Instagram issue and posted results of his research. Feedback requested.

Group type frontend integration (#7210) @rayisme has a second patch which includes some new parameters to bp_groups_register_group_type() and which will allow theme devs or site admins to show group types in front end. @boonebgorges “Just browsing the patch, but looks great at a glance. I like the params as a way of controlling the behavior.”

BuddyPress 2.7

  • September 21 – Beta 1
  • October 5 – Release Candidate 1 (string freeze)
  • October 12 – Target Release date
  • There are currently 91 tickets in queue (47 closed, 44 open).

#dev-chat

#5260, #5500, #6844, #7084, #7176, #7210, #7227

Dev Chat Summaries as of August 17, 2016

This is a compilation of our dev chats for Aug. 3, Aug. 10, and Aug. 17. Thanks for your patience 🙂

BuddyPress 2.6.2

@dcavins packaged and released BuddyPress 2.6.2 last August 4, 2016. This was a maintenance release.

BuddyPress 2.7

  • September 21 – Beta 1
  • October 5 – Release Candidate 1 (string freeze)
  • October 12 – Target Release date
  • There are currently 84 tickets in queue (44 closed, 40 open).

Trac Tickets

  • Hierarchical groups (#3961) @dcavins had a patch which added the parent_id column to the groups database and support for querying by parent_id via groups_get_group() and @rayisme has uploaded a new patch which includes cache invalidation, among others. Dev feedback requested.
  • Group type frontend integration (#7210) @rayisme has patch which includes new UI. Dev feedback requested.
  • Display and filter by member type on Dashboard > Users (#6060) @slaFFik has patch. Dev feedback requested.
  • xprofile field support for WordPress Profile Fields (#7162) @djpaulgibbs: “We’ve not touched the xprofile sync code in years. So if anyone has any ideas about this … and what a new implementation should work like, please comment on the ticket.” He might work on this for BP 2.8.
  • Only load component action and screen code when we’re on the component’s page (#7218) @rayisme has patch for the activity component.
  • Select All link missing in BuddyPress Menu Selection (#5260) @tw2113 has patch and ready to commit. Review and testing requested.
  • BP-legacy: split group single admin.php in separate template files (#7079) Patches by @offereins, @hnla, and @rayisme. Dev feedback requested.
  • Date xprofile field enhancement (#5500) @boonebgorges has patch which includes new UI. Dev feedback welcome.
    Related: @djpaulgibbs has been talking to Miguel from the https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-xprofile-custom-fields-type/ plugin about porting some of that plugin’s field types into core. Tickets will be created when ready.
  • Implement user capabilities for Activity component (#7176) @djapulgibbs has patch. Needs feedback from anyone who knows roles/caps API well.
  • Screen notifications settings page (#6712) @rayisme is working on this ticket. Related to Central place to manage all notifications and delivery preferences (#7168). Needs wireframes. @mercime has volunteered.
  • Extract & relocate core markup functions: Theme compat include functionality & search forms file (#6844) @hnla has patch. Dev feedback requested. @boonebgorges has agreed to review patch.
  • Member/Group Type management in wp-admin @boonebgorges: “If my schedule loosens up in the next few weeks, I will make a first go at a first patch “
  • Accessibility Tickets. @mercime – Goal is to make our front-end templates and at least  85% of BP admin screens accessible-ready by 2.7 launch. There are some style issues for the headings at this time, but will resolve them before deadline.

Notes

  • @djpaulgibbs: “I’m always available for code review and playing the devil’s advocate in feature discussions.
    I would also like to remind regular contributors they are very welcome to leave feedback on tickets in Awaiting Review and Under Consideration milestones on Trac. There’s a backlog, and we really need to do better here. So if anyone wants a change from forum support or development or translation, check out Trac.”

#3961, #5260, #5500, #6060, #6712, #6844, #7079, #7162, #7168, #7176, #7210, #7218, #dev-chat

Nouveau – A BP Template Pack Story

Well a few further updates 🙂

Following on from our first introductory update The State of the BP Nouveau template pack we are happy to provide a little more insight into the ongoing development of this project.

Since that first update we have updated many files pushing some ~110 commits ~410 commits in total to date.

We have comprehensively re-factored and structured the directory layout and created many new include files. Styles are re-worked into a modular series of partial files representing two levels  – those that are called and compiled as the base styles and those that are unique to given TP & living in the TP directory.

The focus of the last couple of weeks has really been on template re-factoring, updating markup , improving semantics, adding or removing classes as required while working through screens updating styles. Updating visual styles also involves paying attention to  the structure and formatting of the files, looking at the nesting of rules (less depth allowed in lint rules) , attempting to ensure we have lighter files with selector specificity that’s lower and less troublesome to override and ultimately to hopefully compile css files that are a little smaller in kb.
Amongst other additions since last we wrote there have been:

  • Navigational user selected styles
    We now provide a vertical navigation selection for user object navs seen here

Nouveau Vertical Nav Menu

  • Additional styles for Navs or links exist too so we can have  a default subnav view or a tabbed look, the tabbed look  work as styles & classes  that can be dropped on most ul list links so we can use them on links such as the profile group links or the message screen links:tabbed-navsThese styles for tabbed navs work from classes to apply the styles in the same way the vertical navs function so in time we will add these to the customizer when we’ve worked out what elements benefit from the choices (apart from the obvious).

 

  • Messages gained a massive upgrade courtesy of @im4th as described in the last update further to this we have updated some of the markup for better semantics and tweaked the styling a bit for both the inbox messages listing & preview screen & single message thread views:

messages-inboxmessage-thread

  • All Nav elements in general have received a review and class tokens upgrade to try and make them a little more useful  and clear – gone is reference to ‘tabs’ unless they are specifically visually styled as such. Navs have had a round of default styling as a base line on which we can build out further styles and attention to some very simple screen widths so that we have something that will work for small mobile/tablet devices. small-screen-navs
  • On User screens we have looked at creating a more uniform approach and consistency to headings and simple explanatory text so for example on the user settings screens we have added headings and text to all screens so it’s clear exactly what your looking at, this process is replicated across all screens where required.

user-headings

  • Whats new textarea gets a tidy up of styles to compliment the work carried out by imath for both small and wide screen views.
  • General tables get a freshen up and font sizes managed for th/td cells.
  • BP Lists get attention for heading/meta font sizes & layouts for small / wide screens.
  • Update the Group Create steps screens, improves the markup and classes and pulls out the BP core steps navigation to include in nouveau template-tags file and adjusts markup.
  • Updates for mixins & scss variable files – improves color choices by variable reference, create more individual specific vars to allow changing of  more specific elements without changing all e.g $nav-hover: $dark-grey; allows $nav-hover to take a different color or var while another element can still use $dark-grey as set. Mixins get updates  for responsive text  to compliment the general font size mixin, this allows a value to be divided by a percentage on smaller breakpoints. New clearfix mixin allows clearfix rules to be added to an element fed as a param of the mixin. Add a variation of the messages box used in companion styles; this mixin allows backgrounds  and color to be passed to message element rulesets, authors can now override the defaults for border, background, color. Update our password strength warning colors for variable definitions rather than hardcoded hex.

Moving forward we have more templates to still run over and review for the best markup structure classes and of course a full and detailed review of accessibility improvements we can bring to our templates which @mercime will be tackling at a convenient moment.

@im4th is currently looking at the implementation of the template pack selector for core on this ticket :

https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7157

As well as continuing to drive new and exciting functionality for bp-nouveau. (take a look at the proposal here for example: https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/issues/64)

We encourage everyone to download and follow along with the development plugin, you can download from:

https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/archive/master.zip

or of course checkout to your plugins local dev via git:

https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs.git

We have specific Template dev Chats on Thursdays @ 19:00 UTC on BP’s slack channel, please come along and provide feedback or simply follow along all and any participation is hugely welcome.

If you’re running the plugin and spot an issue or have an idea for an improvement then you can use BP’s issue tickets on the next-template-pack repo to report them:

https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/issues

And last but not least please feel free to leave any comments or questions on this post and we’ll attempt to respond to them 🙂

 

Regards, the Template Pack Team.

 

BP 2.7 Kickoff Meeting – July 13, 2016

Project Schedule

  • July 13, 2016 – Kickoff – scoping/wishlist
  • September 21, 2016 – Beta 1
  • October 5, 2016 – Release Candidate 1 (string freeze)
  • October 12, 2016 – Target release date for BuddyPress 2.7

Release Lead for BuddyPress 2.8

Slava Abakumov Slava Abakumov (twitter) has been translating BuddyPress to Russian since October 2008 (long before the very first beta) and has submitted many BuddyPress plugins to the WordPress repository. He is a doting father, developer, and project manager, who also enjoys road-cycling and roller-skating. His motto is “Be good, have fun, create things”.

Congratulations @slaffik! 🙂

BuddyPress Leads in the Windy City

Watch out Chicago! @johnjamesjacoby, @boonebgorges, and @djpaulgibbs will be spending some time together at an undisclosed location in the city this Monday, July 18. 🙂

Images of BuddyPress leads - John, Boone, and Paul.

bbPress 2.5.10

bbPress 2.5.10 was packaged and released by @johnjamesjacoby Wednesday, July 13. This was a security release so please upgrade if you haven’t already.

Navigation API in Codex

@boonebgorges has posted a new article about the new Navigation API. Check out all the examples to help you with customizations.

BP 2.7 Scoping/Wishlist

BLOGS

CORE

  • Accessibility fixes for BP Admin screens and templates @mercime
  • Widget for logged-in user Notifications used in wp-toolbar (#7183)

DOCUMENTATION

GROUPS

MEMBERS

REST API@boonebgorges and @rayisme

TEMPLATES

  • Extract & relocate core markup functions @hnla

TOOLBAR AND NOTIFICATIONS

Though not mentioned during dev chat, following are a few of many interesting tickets which you might like to contribute to or kibitz about:

  • Merge BuddyPress Followers into BuddyPress Core (#7133)
  • UI to pick Template Packs (#7157)
  • Admin UI options for all template features (#7160)
  • Add #hashtag auto-suggest (#7165)

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1468436417003180
(Slack account is required)

#3961, #6026, #6677, #6712, #6812, #7133, #7157, #7160, #7165, #7179, #7180, #7181, #7182, #7183, #dev-chat