BP 2.7 Kickoff Meeting – July 13, 2016

Project Schedule

  • July 13, 2016 – Kickoff – scoping/wishlist
  • September 21, 2016 – Beta 1
  • October 5, 2016 – Release Candidate 1 (string freeze)
  • October 12, 2016 – Target release date for BuddyPress 2.7

Release Lead for BuddyPress 2.8

Slava Abakumov Slava Abakumov (twitter) has been translating BuddyPress to Russian since October 2008 (long before the very first beta) and has submitted many BuddyPress plugins to the WordPress repository. He is a doting father, developer, and project manager, who also enjoys road-cycling and roller-skating. His motto is “Be good, have fun, create things”.

Congratulations @slaffik! 🙂

BuddyPress Leads in the Windy City

Watch out Chicago! @johnjamesjacoby, @boonebgorges, and @djpaulgibbs will be spending some time together at an undisclosed location in the city this Monday, July 18. 🙂

Images of BuddyPress leads - John, Boone, and Paul.

bbPress 2.5.10

bbPress 2.5.10 was packaged and released by @johnjamesjacoby Wednesday, July 13. This was a security release so please upgrade if you haven’t already.

Navigation API in Codex

@boonebgorges has posted a new article about the new Navigation API. Check out all the examples to help you with customizations.

BP 2.7 Scoping/Wishlist

BLOGS

CORE

  • Accessibility fixes for BP Admin screens and templates @mercime
  • Widget for logged-in user Notifications used in wp-toolbar (#7183)

DOCUMENTATION

GROUPS

MEMBERS

REST API@boonebgorges and @rayisme

TEMPLATES

  • Extract & relocate core markup functions @hnla

TOOLBAR AND NOTIFICATIONS

Though not mentioned during dev chat, following are a few of many interesting tickets which you might like to contribute to or kibitz about:

  • Merge BuddyPress Followers into BuddyPress Core (#7133)
  • UI to pick Template Packs (#7157)
  • Admin UI options for all template features (#7160)
  • Add #hashtag auto-suggest (#7165)

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1468436417003180
(Slack account is required)

#3961, #6026, #6677, #6712, #6812, #7133, #7157, #7160, #7165, #7179, #7180, #7181, #7182, #7183, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for June 8, 2016

BuddyPress 2.6.0

  • Release Candidate 1 (string freeze): June 15, 2016
  • 2.6.0 release: June 22, 2016
  • There are currently 106 tickets in queue (Closed: 103. Open: 3.)

Trac Tickets

A new API to manage single items navigation (#6534) Issue on backward compatibility with groups navigation. Update: @boonebgorges has committed fix to trunk.

Activity link moderation doesn’t output useful error message to end users (#6719) @rayisme will be making a string change. Update@rayisme has committed the fix to trunk.

Welcome Screen for 2.6.0 (#7108)
* Activity embeds will be the main feature of the About page. A short video will be embedded for WP 4.5+ installations and an image for installations less than WP 4.5. @im4th was volunteered to make the video. Update: @im4th has uploaded a patch.
* Other items to be featured included the new Group Types API and Custom Users Front Page
* In the midst of testing the Activity embeds feature for the About page, @tw2113 found a bug. Update: @im4th created a new ticket and he and @rayisme have uploaded patches to fix the issue.
* In addition, the WP icon was seen in BuddyPress.org’s activity embeds. @im4th pointed out that a ready-to-use BuddyPress icon exists on the “official fonts and logos” page. Update: @djpaulgibbs has uploaded the icon.
* “Under the Hood” section: New API to manage single items (Member or Group) navigation, various caching improvements, among other items.

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1465412393000100

#6534, #6719, #7108, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for May 18, 2016

BuddyPress 2.5.3

BuddyPress 2.6.0

  • Beta 1: May 25, 2016
  • Release Candidate 1 (string freeze): June 8, 2016
  • Release Date: June 15, 2016
  • There are currently 91 tickets slated for this dev cycle. (Closed: 70. Active: 21.)

Trac Tickets

Route /me/*/ to /members//*/ (#6325) @rayisme has patch and has created a new ticket (#7075) for the internationalization patch. Update: @rayisme has committed this feature to trunk.

BuddyPress Embeds for activity, user profiles, groups (#6772) @im4th noted the security concerns about the embedded embeds. @rayisme: “The right way is to dynamically replace the image with the embedded content. However, the WP model makes this hard since we start in an IFRAME to begin with.” @im4th mentioned that he was going to test the new patch. Update: @rayisme and @im4th have uploaded new patches.

Activity post form template improvements (#6680) @dcavins had posted screenshots after testing @rayisme‘s patch on the WP default and some premium themes. @boonebgorges: “It looks like the specific improvements in the ticket do break some things, so let’s not do it right now. But maybe we can revisit for the next release.” Update: Ticket punted to next dev cycle.

Administrator not able to delete user notifications (#7023) @rayisme requested dev feedback. @boonebgorges: “The change to `displayed` rather than `loggedin` seems right. It’s what we do everywhere else. If you need to add a param to all functions to make it work, so be it. Strategy seems fine.” @djpaulgibbs: “to my eyes that looks like it’s an in-progress ticket that I don’t need to pay much attention because I trust the people (Ray and David) working on it 🙂 “

Notifications: Pass the notification ID to the notification callback (#7066) @rayisme has patch but requires patch in (#7067) to resolve the issue. @boonebgorges gave the green light. Update: @rayisme has committed both to trunk.

Improved caching for group membership (#6327) @boonebgorges will look into this. In addition: “I commend @dcavins for pulling that into the milestone. Now I feel obligated to look at it. A quality of a good release lead :+1: ” Update: @boonebgorges has improvements to trunk.

Emails: real unsubscribe functionality (#6932) @djpaulgibbs wants to get this in for 2.6 and will take a look at progress early next week.

Date xprofile field enhancement (#5500) @boonebgorges and @djpaulgibbs discussed the patch and missing feedback from reporter. Update: Ticket punted to next dev cycle.

Add a “data-timestamp” attribute to all templates requiring timestamps (#5757) The discussion between @rayisme, @im4th, @boonebgorges, and @djpaulgibbs touched on the 2 new libraries introduced for this new feature – moment.js and livestamp.js – and who has the time to shepherd this for 2.6.0. Update: @rayisme has uploaded revised patch.

Blogs: Improvements to bp_blogs_record_existing_blogs() (#6270) @rayisme is ready to commit patch in ticket.

Widgets: add support for customizer selective refresh (#7030) Update: @rayisme has committed patch to trunk.

Creation of developer.buddypress.org (#6812) @tw2113 reported that he has uploaded everything he has locally to https://github.com/buddypress/developer.buddypress.org. @tw2113 and @djpaulgibbs discussed the items needed to update the theme for developer.buddypress.org.

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1463598018002648

#5500, #5757, #6270, #6325, #6327, #6680, #6772, #6812, #6932, #7023, #7030, #7066, #7067, #7075, #dev-chat

General Summaries for May 11, 2016

This post covers the BP Template Pack meeting @ 18:00 UTC and Dev Chat @ 19:00 UTC along with the upcoming BP 2.5.3 and BP 2.6.0 releases.

BP Template Pack

Participants: @dcavins, @im4th, @hnla, and @mercime.

  • @im4th: created a new ticket for the Activity post form for the new Template Pack currently hosted on Github
  • @hnla: added some preliminary notes in the Template Pack Wiki
  • @im4th:  already using Ajax actions returning JSON replies.
  • @hnla: requested that for this new pack or new templates, “please, please, no mention of backpat as it concerns us not, it’s a dirty word and we don’t suffer it for this project.”
  • @dcavins: we should focus on the Messages screen and the Activity Post form for next week.
  • @im4th: with this new template pack, an important thing will be to check we’re accessibility-ready and include this in the roadmap.
  • @mercime: a new Template Pack Trac Ticket for good fortune when ready.
  • @dcavins proposed a weekly meeting to step up discussions. This was seconded by the other participants.

Next meeting: Wednesday, May 18, same time (18:00 UTC), same #buddypress Slack channel (Slack account is required).

Dev Chat

developer.buddypress.org (#6812) @tw2113 has set up a sample site at https://trexthepirate.com/buddypress/reference/ to get things rolling. @djpaulgibbs: “Once the theme is done and any custom plugins, Boone, John, or I will code review it, and push it out. We’ll then need to talk to meta and figure out how to run the initial import or parsing.” @djpaulgibbs created a new repository in Github at https://github.com/buddypress/developer.buddypress.org and @tw2113 has already uploaded a local copy for review.

A new API to manage single items navigation (#6534) Update: @boonebgorges has committed the awesome new nav API which replaces the old `bp_nav` and `bp_options_nav` system to trunk the day after the chat. Check out his illuminating commit message for particulars. This commit also fixes another trac ticket (#5103 Group slug and user’s subnav parent_slug trouble).

Group Types API (#6784) @boonebgorges got the consensus to ship the new Group Types API without a UI in the front end for the first release.  Update: @dcavins has uploaded the patch to add a metabox in the wp-admin Group edit screen for changing group type per discussion in chat.

BP Users front.php (#6769) @im4th followed up on feedback for his patch. @hnla said that he will be looking at this. Update: @hnla has posted feedback and @im4th has uploaded a new patch.

Emails: Passing an email address to `bp_send_mail()` does not render `{recipient.name}` token (#7044) @rayisme has patch and unit tests. @djpaulgibbs has posted feedback and mentioned during chat that this would probably go into BP 2.5.3.

Emails: Allow a custom `unsubscribe` token to be set directly in `bp_send_email()` (#7045) @rayisme noted that this ticket can be closed in favor of #6932 (Emails: real unsubscribe functionality).

BuddyPress Embeds for activity, user profiles, groups (#6772) @im4th mentioned that there are problems with iframe within iframe, i.e., when one embeds a video in the activity stream then embed this activity in a post.

Upcoming Releases

BuddyPress 2.5.3

  • There are currently 5 tickets slated. (Closed: 2. Active: 3.)
  • Release Date: TBA

BuddyPress 2.6.0

  • There are currently 95 tickets slated for this dev cycle. (Closed: 56. Active: 39.)
  • Beta 1: May 25, 2016
  • Release Candidate 1 (string freeze): June 8, 2016
  • Release Date: June 15, 2016

#dev-chat

#5103, #6534, #6769, #6772, #6784, #6812, #6932, #7044, #7045, #buddypress

General Summaries for April 13 – 20, 2016

This post covers the following meetings:
1. New Template Pack, April 13,
2. Dev Chat, April 13,
3. BuddyPress Work Party, April 14, and
4. Dev Chat, April 20.

New Template Pack

We held the first meeting to discuss the new template pack an hour before our regular Dev Chat as scheduled. Members of the core team shared expectations and observations about the new BuddyPress template pack based on what @im4th has accomplished so far in his next-template-pack plugin. The plugin already has an option for end users in the back end to either use bp-legacy templates or use the new template pack and it uses handlebars templating but like email tokens, you can only work with what you have in the JSON payload.

 The initial discovery phase touched on the following items:

  • modularized template pack with some theme goodies sprinkled in
  • put all the new features in next-template-pack including improved UI, compatible with latest BP/WP versions, and all the accessibility baked in.
  • modern JS and CSS, works really nicely with the idea of the CSS snippets library, too … making the whole experience more flexible and easily customizable
  • general agreement that the new template packs don’t have to be beholden to bp-legacy backward compatibility
  • core files  still have to honor the parent theme styles
  • modular CSS – BP  pattern library
  • make a list of the kinds of things we need to output, so we can work to unify styles as much as possible, see http://alistapart.com/blog/post/getting-started-with-pattern-libraries
  • planning documents: Google Docs, bpdevel, Trac tickets
  • identifying core markup to use/move
  • move next-template-pack to BuddyPress github account
  • manifesto with project scope and implementation plan
  • Shoot for the moon. “I’d say let’s not be circumspect (with anything). Let’s go for it, then throttle back what we have to,” per @dcavins

Next meeting: Wednesday, April 27,  same time (18:00 UTC), same #buddypress channel in Slack.
Update: See additional notes in the April 20 Dev Chat at the bottom of this post for the Template Pack meeting next week.

Dev Chat

BuddyPress 2.5.3

  • There are three tickets in queue with improvements to BP Email.
  • Release date: TBA

Email Subject special characters display problem with initiator.name token (#6966). This is the only ticket left open for this minor release. @dcavins, @djpaulgibbs, and @rayisme discussed about the feasibility of adding emoji support in BP Emails. Need to check which email providers and mobile clients show emojis. @rayisme has volunteered to work on this ticket.

BuddyPress 2.6.0

  • There are 115 tickets currently slated for this cycle (32 closed. 83 open)
  • Beta 1: May 25, 2016
  • Release Candidate 1 (string freeze): June 8, 2016
  • Target Release Date: June 15, 2016

Route `/me/*/` to `/members//*/` (#6325) @rayisme has patch for the redirection.

Minimum WP version bump for BP 2.6 (#7013) @dcavins reminded all re @boonebgorgespost: BP 2.6.0 will require WP 4.1 or higher.

filter for $after_member_slug in bp-core-catchuri.php (#6694) Has patches by @dcavins, @boonebgorges, and @rayisme. Needs testing/feedback.

Use “Mystery Group” avatar when group avatar not available (#6372) Has patches by @abweb and @boonebgorges. Feedback welcome.

Activity post form template improvements (#6680) Has patches by @rayisme and @mercime. @dcavins has posted before and after-patch screenshots of the Twenty-* themes and premium themes to address some backpat concerns. Comments on the ticket are welcome.

Re backward compatibility from @boonebgorges: “I think we should try to differentiate between different kinds of (potential) backward compat breaks for templates. some are minor, while others are debilitating. some will simply be a case of a custom template not receiving new features, while others will break markup so that stuff like JS no longer works.” Weigh potential gains from the break “on a case-by-case basis . If we were never willing to break compatibility, we’d never fix any bugs 🙂 “

Accessibility: Update Heading Structure in Template Files (#6871)  @mercime asked for the consensus of the team.  @boonebgorges, “My position is that if we can demonstrate that the styling changes are minimal in the Twenty themes, it’s fair evidence that it’s a change with fairly low negative impact. This also assumes that the a11y benefits are meaningful, which I’m relying on your judgment for.” @djpaulgibbs noted, “BuddyBoss and a UK agency have both told me that the heading changes that have gone into 2.6 will require them to update all their sites/themes. I am not trying to be against improvements. But it’s a fine line.  I am just saying if we are committing to making such significant changes to the main markup, we need to communicate that NOW and way better than we ever have before. Because honestly we’ve always changed stuff and broken it. It has had little to no documentation, generally. As Boone said, we need to look at the impact of each change on its own basis.”

BP Template Versioning (#6642) @djpaulgibbs and @hnla discussed  @im4th‘s work in documenting template changes in the file header in ticket as well as versioning of the template files like Woo does.

Add BP top level menu and Admin Page to Improve User Experience (#6827) @mercime will upload new patch.

Creation of developer.buddypress.org (#6812) @tw2113 would like to get this going sometime soon, “Essentially we need to get a final destination set up, run a parser scan on the latest stable version, and then comb the website for inconsistencies and things needing changed also work on any sort of triggers/automation to update the source there and re-parse.”

BuddyPress Work Party

Route `/me/*/ to /members//*/` (#6325) @rayisme has uploaded new patch. Dev feedback needed.

Comment notification NOT notified (#6057) @im4th has uploaded new patch. Dev feedback needed.

Cover Image location is incorrect for blogs other than the primary blog (#6931) @im4th has uploaded new patch. Dev feedback needed.

Extending Messages notification should be improved (#6750) @rayisme committed patch to trunk.

Profile Cover not working when we define a custom BP_XPROFILE_SLUG (#6962) @rayisme committed patch to trunk.

fatal error: bp_blogs_record_existing_blogs (#6940) @rayisme has closed the ticket in favor of #6370 below.

Blogs: Improvements to bp_blogs_record_existing_blogs() (#6370) Has new patch by @rayisme. @johnjamesjacoby has given feedback in ticket.

Add aria attributes for dashicons in Components screen (#7017) @mercime has committed patch to trunk.

Dev Chat – April 20

Notifications for activity stream comments and replies (#6057) @im4th has patch plus screenshots uploaded and would like to get this new feature in for 2.6. @boonebgorges has posted feedback in ticket. Feedback in Slack was very positive with some suggestions on inline documentation. Looks like this will be fixed soon.

BP Users front.php (#6769) @im4th has uploaded screenshots and the first patch for this new feature. @hnla and @dcavins have mentioned testing and providing feedback soon.

bp_notifications_get_notifications_for_user() bug (#7020) @rayisme has patch.  Testing and feedback welcome.

Route `/me/*/ to /members//*/` (#6325) @boonebgorges has posted feedback for @rayisme‘s patch.

filter for $after_member_slug in bp-core-catchuri.php (#6694) Fix has been committed to trunk by @boonebgorges during dev chat.

BP Template Versioning (#6642) @dcavins: “Need to settle on the format/requirements for the template versioning, we could tag all of the templates, before we come up with our super jam for how to help site owners realize their templates are no longer up to the current high standards.” @boonebgorges “The minimum that needs to be decided for the process to start is what header format we’re going to use. Questions about how we inform users, how we assemble changelogs, etc – these can wait. On the other hand, Inline changelog + summary changelog with each version may be enough.”

Allow admin to select fields to display in user “excerpts” on Groups’ user list page (#4126) @boonebgorges mentioned the UX considerations in the ticket proposed by @oc2ps require admin-level tools (which we don’t currently have) for site owners to modify the way that BP content looks on the front end. Comments/thoughts about whether it’s the kind of thing we want to do are welcome.

@booneborges noted that “if we’re going to introduce something like this into BP, it would have to be an actual interface where you could customize things and it would extend to interfaces other than member directories, in the long run. I think the answer for this ticket is that it’s not a route we can comfortably go down given our current approach to templates.”

Date xprofile field enhancement (#5500) @boonebgorges mentioned that this ticket has a new patch which “has some promise, but will need extensive rewriting to fit with BP/WP standards (not just coding standards, but architecture). I will try to take some time in the next couple weeks to pore over it, but if anyone has time in the meantime, feel free.”

Screen notifications settings page (#6712) Has patches. @rayisme requested for dev feedback.

Additional notes for next week’s Template Pack Meeting

  •  @johnjamesjacoby: “I’d like to propose that in whatever new template pack is built, that no `do_action()` calls exist in template parts, and if we find ourselves wanting them, we architect a better solution inside of the API.”
  • Use “magic hooks” from @johnjamesjacoby, “anywhere we need `before/after` actions in templates, is a place where a new template part should exist, and `bp_get_template_part()` should fire its own `before/after` actions before & after every part is successfully pulled in.”
  • On the other hand, @boonebgorges noted, “Here’s another take on this. If you are a WordPress developer, you know that if you see a `do_action()`, you can make something appear there by calling `add_action()`. If we introduce micro-APIs for every little thing, it obfuscates what is currently a fairly simple process.” @im4th added, “without overriding the full template. That’s the good part of the `do_action` i agree.”

#dev-chat

#4126, #5500, #6057, #6325, #6372, #6642, #6680, #6694, #6712, #6750, #6769, #6812, #6827, #6871, #6931, #6940, #6962, #6966, #7013, #7017, #7020, #buddypress

Core Dev Chat Summary for January 13, 2016

BuddyPress 2.5.0

  • Beta 1: February 8, 2016
  • RC 1 (string freeze): February 22, 2016
  • Target Release Date: March 2, 2016
  • There are 113 tickets slated for this cycle to date. (Closed: 29. Active: 84)

Trac Tickets Mentioned

Comment syncing between activity and post comments for Custom Post Types (#6482) @imath Patch updated. Dev feedback needed.

Comment notification NOT notified (#6057) @imath Has patch. Ready to commit. Dev feedback needed.

Manage Signups on Network Admin dashboard returns Blog Admin URL, not Network Admin URL (#6371) @imath Has patch. Ready to commit. Dev feedback needed.

Deleted activity items remain favourited (#3794) @imath Wants to reactivate the discussion on this issue. Has patch. Dev feedback needed.

developer.buddypress.org (#6812) @tw2113 has gotten the parser to work on the codebase. He will focus next on the “Members based functions” and the theme.

Email API and customisation features  (#6592) @djpaulgibbs Has uploaded separate patches for any “drive-by code reviews”. Dev feedback needed.

Slack Log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1452715302003088

#3794, #6057, #6371, #6482, #6592, #6812, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for January 6, 2016

The first dev chat of the year focused on the 2.5.0 release scope. There are currently 104 tickets slated for  this dev cycle: 22 closed and 82 active. The following were mentioned during dev chat (major features have asterisks).

API

*BuddyPress Embeds for activity, user profiles, groups (#6772) @rayisme and @im4th work on ensuring that nested embeds show up as well as preventing embeds from breaking layout, among others.

*Create New Invitations API (#6210) @dcavins has written a bunch of tests for this feature in the last two releases. He’s currently working on the actual code changes and it’s going pretty well. Ultimately, he mentioned he’d like nearly all of the  features of Boone’s Invite Anyone plugin to be rolled in.

*A new API to manage single items navigation (#6534) @boonebgorges

*Email API and customisation features (#6592) @djpaulgibbs will be ready for review in a week or so. He has done lots of work on it and has recently posted an extensive technical update in ticket.

*Group Types API (#6784) @boonebgorges

BLOGS

*Comment syncing between activity and post comments for Custom Post Types (#6482) @im4th has patch which ready for  review/testing.

CORE

Use WP page names for BP directory pages headings (#6765) @hnla

Hooks Documentation Continued @tw2113

GROUPS

Add function to send single invitation (#6025) @dcavins is working on this in relation to the main ticket (#6210) Invitations API above.

NOTIFICATIONS

Comment notification NOT notified (#6057) @im4th will refresh the patch next week.

Screen notifications settings page (#6712) @rayisme

TEMPLATE PARTS

*Companion Stylesheet – Twenty Twelve (#6766) @hnla has committed the first pass of the SASS and compiled CSS files.

BP Users front.php (#6769) @hnla

XPROFILES

*xProfile fielddata visibility should be stored in xprofilemeta (#6413) @boonebgorges has the patch written, “just some work to do on making the migration routine less insane.”

*xProfile fields used for signup should be configurable (#6347) @johnjamesjacoby

xProfile field database schema (#6350) @johnjamesjacoby

BUDDYPRESS.ORG

*developer.buddypress.org (#5129) @tw2113 is working on the parser

GENERAL – ADMIN/UI

Accessibility Upgrades Continued @mercime

FOR NEXT WEEK:

  1. REST API
  2. “Social Network” vs. “Community Software” marketing direction

#5129, #6025, #6057, #6347, #6350, #6413, #6482, #6534, #6592, #6712, #6765, #6766, #6769, #6772, #6784, #dev-chat