This post includes updates since the dev chat last Wednesday.
BuddyPress 2.3.0 Schedule Update
- BP 2.3.0 Beta 1 https://buddypress.org/2015/05/buddypress-2-3-0-beta-1/ was packaged and released by @johnjamesjacoby last Thursday, May 7th.
- BP RC 1 is scheduled two weeks before release.
- Update: Target release date for BP 2.3.0 has been moved to early June.
- 113 tickets have been closed and 10 tickets remain open to date. The other tickets have been punted to 2.4.0.
Star Private Messages
- (#6331) In addition to the new enhancement for private messages, @rayisme’s 6331.03.patch included the introduction of
bp_is_active( $component, $feature ) which allows developers to check if a component feature is registered.
- Update: This enhancement plus the new
bp_is_active( $component, $feature ) are now in trunk for BP 2.3.0
BP Templates Hooks Documentation
- (#5948) @tw2113 has completed adding inline documentation for hooks in the template files. He has since opened up new tickets for “any missed spots or new/revised edits.”
BP Companion Stylesheets for Twenty Fifteen and Twenty Fourteen
- (#6338) and (#6291) @hnla has committed updates for improving the layout of BP components within the bundled themes mentioned above. Work is close to being done, just some minor responsive touches left. Testing and feedback welcome.
XProfile fields used for signup should be configurable
Manage Signups on Network Admin dashboard returns Blog Admin URL, not Network Admin URL
- (#6371) @rayisme discussed this ticket which has a patch with @im4th. They concurred to punt this ticket to 2.4.0 because related tickets for multisite and blogs component will be addressed in the next dev cycle.
Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1430938938003646
(You need a Slack account to view the logs.)
#5948, #6291, #6331, #6338, #6347, #6371, #dev-chat
This is a compilation of the planning and discussions held during the past three weeks (02/11/15, 02/18/15, and 02/25/15). Contributors have indicated the areas they are going to work on for the next three months or so of the 2.3.0 dev cycle:
- New Invitations API where he’ll be building the API/lib first and add the component later as the need arises (#6210) with @johnjamesjacoby
- Add tests for group invitations and membership request functions (#6209)
- Complete documentation on BP Core files (#5940)
- Complete documentation on BP Templates (#5948)
- Reference: Docs initiative (#5022)
- Afterwards, he will go over to all existing phpdocs and touch up ones that PHPStorm is reporting as inaccurate params and whatnot.
- New Attachments API (#5429) with @johnjamesjacoby
- Local avatar management with new attachments API (#6004)
- Possible new Relationships API with @djpaulgibbs based on https://github.com/paulgibbs/buddypress/tree/posts2posts for the Favorites/Likes features. Meeting at WCLondon to discuss this.
- Member types API level such as member-type-specific xprofile fields (#5192)
- “Only Me” profile fields are searchable by other users (#6211)
- Member Types API: remove a user’s member type (#6188). Update: This issue was fixed today.
- Check in other ongoing work in Trac
- Add companion stylesheets for all WordPress Default themes (#6248)
- Twenty Fifteen theme BP Companion Stylesheet (#6124)
- 2015 BuddyPress Survey: launched 02/18/2015 through results post in April (#5980)
- 2015 bbPress Survey: from ~ April 2015 through results in June/July 2015 (bbPress#2767)
- WP Theme Repo: submit themes which support BuddyPress and bbPress
- BuddyPress Codex: Add/update articles
- Work with @im4th on the new Relationships API
- Deleted activity items remain favourited (#3794) with @johnjamesjacoby
- Activity Favorites: alternative management & new features (#5644) with @johnjamesjacoby
- Improve representation of blog posts in the Activity Stream (#6177) which is virtually ready
- BP Trac Maintenance and work on ideas for future releases
- New Notifications Meta (#6257)
- Work with @rayisme on Message cache
- Work with @im4th on new Attachments API
- Work with @dcavins on new Invitations API
- Work with @djpaulgibbs on Favourites/Likes
- Work on new Administration UI’s for each component. @djpaulgibbs mentioned that he has UI for xProfile in wp-admin.
- Will continue with his 5% for WordPress via BuddyPress and find ways to contribute in Trac.
You can keep track of the tasks for the 2.3.0 milestone on this page.
- Commit access has been granted to @hnla for his work on the tickets mentioned above and other tasks to be assigned by the Lead Developers.
- @slaffik raised an issue about the i18n sites of BuddyPress.org. @henrywright brought up an issue re BuddYPress.org forums. @ubernaut reported on an issue which was previously reported in trac which will be fixed when the WP trac ticket referenced in said ticket is fixed.
- @johnjamesjacoby mentioned that these issues can be posted in https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/. The themes and plugins are open-sourced and can be patched. He added, “I don’t expect anyone to want to figure that all out (as it’s a bit non-standard at the moment.) It’s a bit unorthodox because BuddyPress.org & bbPress.org share resources amongst several sites & trac which does not run WordPress or PHP.”
New BuddyPress Welcome Screen Designs
- Per initiative led by @djpaulgibbs in his post last Dec. 19th, @modemlooper presented two screenshots prepared by designers from WebDevStudios two weeks ago (#6224). Most of those present at the dev chat preferred the screenshot of the BP Welcome screen header (light version).
- @djpaulgibbs encouraged interested parties “to think bigger than what we do on the Welcome screen already, not just make current screen look/work better”.
2015 BuddyPress Survey
- Please help guide the direction of BuddyPress development in 2015 by taking the Survey at https://buddypress.org/2015/02/2015-buddypress-survey/ Thank you!
#3794, #5022, #5192, #5429, #5644, #5940, #5948, #5980, #6004, #6124, #6177, #6188, #6209, #6210, #6221, #6224, #6248, #6257, #dev-chat