Hi everyone, sorry this summary is published very late (the day before we’re having another development meeting).
July 21 Dev-Chat summary
- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (June 30/July 7, 2021)
- In attendance: @vapvarun @sbrajesh @johnjamesjacoby @dcavins @im4th
- Slack archive
9.0.0 early results and feedbacks
- 9.0.0 “Mico” was released on July 19.
- Download spike for it happened on July 20 and reached ~33.400 downloads 📈 🎈.
- Nothing major about it into Support forums, so @imath was able to quote @vapvarun saying: “We did not break anything big” 😅.
- This BP Blocks focused (& short time framed) release was an interesting experience, thanks to a discussion launched by @johnjamesjacoby a bit before the dev chat, we were able to discuss about the benefits of working from a “feature as a plugin” GitHub repository. In short: it can save us some time ⏱, but bringing back code into our Trac is making us feel safer from being completely GitHub dependent.
10.0.0 is a magic number!
- 10 is after 9, and we all feel we need to make this release a bit specific.
- @sbrajesh has been working on the BP Relationship API and is confident he’ll be able to share a first alpha around August 18. 💪
- Below are our first thoughts about 10.0.0:
- A “regular” development cycle, Christmas🎄 as a release date could be a good idea!
- It’s time BuddyPress has a Media Component, Releasing 10.0.0 once it’s ready was suggested 😇
- Using rewrites to parse BP URLs might be a bit too early but we’ll have a “feature as a plugin” really soon to check what it means in terms of back compatibility with Plugins using the BP Legacy URL parser.
- Carry on improving the BP REST API by using it more frequently into BP features (like we did for BP Blocks in 9.0.0)
- A new great BP Theme seems difficult to achieve, unless we have a lot of interested contributors jumping in!
- A site membership requests feature to compliment the site membership invites.
Nothing’s set in stone yet! Don’t hesitate to show your support for one (or more) of the above points to help us decide. And if you have great ideas, be there to share them with us during our next development meeting 👇
August 4 Dev-Chat Agenda
We had 2 weeks to think about possible features for 10.0.0, let’s decide about the ones we’ll work on during this magically numbered release cycle 🪄.
It will happen on August 4 (tomorrow) at 19:30 UTC and of course in #BuddyPress.
If you have specific/additional points you need to discuss about, please share them into the comments area of this post.