Summary of Dev/Santa Chats held December 17 & 24, 2014

Trac Tickets

#2693: bp_format_time returns incorrect value when gmt_offset is empty

  • @johnjamesjacoby found a new issue where bp_format_time() only checks gmt_offset and does not check timezone_string and will be looking into it. @djpaulgibbs recalled seeing an old ticket #2693 regarding a similar issue.
  • @johnjamesjacoby reopened and added this ticket to the 2.3 milestone.

#6008: Remove HTML from post_title for groups

  • 12/17 – A lively discussion ensued on where to add the “Create a Group/Blog” button/link. @bowe and @modemlooper posted screenshots of proposed solutions. @djpaulgibbs moved that decision be delayed to the following week and seconded by @boonebgorges and @im4th. The discussion continued till after devchat was closed. Rest assured that there will be no modals, marquees, nor blinks involved in the final solution.
  • 12/24 – @hnla followed up on decision re placement of button/link. @rayisme commented that @santa might fix it. @boonebgorges said he would leave some cookies and milk for @santa at said ticket. Unfortunately, @santa did not have the time to address the issue as he was too busy making deliveries.

#4988: bp_has_activities to accept multi-scope

  • High five to @rayisme for completing work in this ticket where ‘filter_query’ argument to bp_has_activities() was introduced along with a new class BP_Activity_Query. @rayisme noted, “Multiple activity scopes will rule!” :)
  • Testing and feedback welcome.

Trac Matters

  • Workflow: @boonebgorges commented that the contributors who add tickets to milestones, especially enhancements, should be responsible to see the ticket through, i.e., adding patch/es or wrangle someone to help create necessary patch/es.  @djpaulgibbs mentioned that once Trac configuration is fixed, only BP Trac admins and gardeners will be able to add a ticket to a milestone.
  • Trac Twitter Account: @hnla reported that the account has not been working for a while. @johnjamesjacoby fixed https://twitter.com/bptrac before the meeting was over.
  • Outstanding tickets for BP 2.2 can be found in this report. RC1 is scheduled to be released on Jan. 7, 2015.

Slack logs

  • 12/17 devchat – https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1418846465000743
  • 12/24 santachat – https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1419451430001391

#dev-chat, #slack

Summary of Dev Chats held November 26 & December 3, 2014

Trac Tickets

#6006: User/Member Types API

  • @boonebgorges asked for dev feedback in addition to @im4th’s in order to commit the new API for early testing.
  • @djpaulgibbs has since conducted a code review of the patch a la WPcom VIP code reviews.
  • Update: As of this writing, @boonebgorges has committed the new API to core.
  • Testing and feedback welcome.

#5733: Use wp_cache_add_global_groups() so cache is applicable throughout multisite

  • @johnjamesjacoby works on improving the speed and performance of BuddyPress sites in multisite and multi-network environments.
  • Included in ticket is a proof-of-concept patch and a revised bp-multi-network file based on his work on Flox, across 8 networks.
  • An audit of current usages of cache methods used throughout BP will be conducted.

#4988: bp_has_activities to accept multi scope

  • @r-a-y and @boonebgorges work on allowing multiple scopes for bp_has_activities() using same nested query syntax introduced by @boonebgorges in upcoming WP 4.1.

#5839: BP_XProfile_Query – filtering user query results by xprofile field matches

  • @boonebgorges has committed the new API to trunk.
  • Testing and feedback welcome.

#5669: Help plugins to generate activities for their post type(s)

  • @im4th has committed new functions and hooks to support tracking custom post types in the Activity Streams without requiring the Blogs component to be active (multisite).
  • Announcement Post: https://bpdevel.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/about-post-types-and-buddypress-activities/
  • Codex Article: https://codex.buddypress.org/plugindev/post-types-activities/
  • Testing and feedback welcome.

Adding BuddyPress support for the WP REST API

  • @modemlooper has a base plugin created at https://github.com/modemlooper/BP-API which is updated to current develop branch of WP-API
  • The status of this project and call for volunteers to help build this will be posted in this blog sometime soon.

Limited BuddyPress Codex Access

  • At this time, access to the codex admin dashboard has been restricted due to a deluge of spam posts last Thanksgiving weekend. The same goes for access to the bbPress codex.
  • In addition to @johnjamesjacoby’s work in stopping these spammers, @hnla reported spammers who used github to host spam materials and fought with the spammers relentlessly along with @netweb and me. We compiled a list of said spammers and have removed the users from respective codex and sites’ forums. As of yesterday, these spam users were also blocked from the WordPress.org support forums.
  • The new process to get access to the codices will be posted soon. Thank you for your patience.

Guest Commit Access

  • Guest commit access for the BuddyPress 2.2 development cycle has been granted to @tw2113. He will be continuing his recent focus on improving BP’s inline documentation.

BP Core Attachments

  • BP Attachments is being redesigned as a shared library which will include functions to to set up the attachments environment (API) as a foundation for other components to use rather than a stand-alone component.

Slack logs

11/26/14 – https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1417032280001942
12/03/14 – https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1417636775002453

#dev-chat, #slack

Summary of Dev Chats held November 12 & 19, 2014

Trac Tickets

#6006: User/Member Types API

  • Patches by @boonebgorges provide the minimum set of functionalities to support for “user/member types” to begin with. Kudos. There is no UI yet at this point but developers can already use the API when BP 2.2 rolls out.
  • Proposed new taxonomy ‘bp_user_type’ for this new feature will be discussed at a later date along with related tickets for a generic BP taxonomy and the Group taxonomy.

#6005: No-js bulk deletion of messages

  • Improvements to the Messages interface for no-js support has grown to some major changes in the Messages template screen, Messages loop, and legacy (theme compatibility) JS and CSS.
  • Decision: Move forward with the improvements.

#6008: Remove HTML from post_title for groups

  • This involved removing the HTML markups (links/buttons) inserted in page titles. Consequences for removing the markups are: member/group names in the title of pages will no longer be clickable and that a decision has to be made where to relocate the “Create a Group” and “Create a Site” buttons.
  • Decision: Move forward with removal of HTML from post_title for groups and blogs. New locations for the “create” button/links removed will be decided at a later date.

#5839: BP_XProfile_Query – filtering user query results by xprofile field matches

  • @boonebgorges introduced BP_XProfile_Query which will allow for an easier way to get a list of users who match a given set of xprofile terms. At this time, only plugin developers will be able to use this feature as the UI for this API will not be built until much later.

#6026: And if the Blogs component had Single items?

  • @imath is taking on the Blogs Component and has started work exploring the different avenues for improvement. Screenshots and link to the plugin he created during discovery are available in the ticket.

Tickets re Messages Component

  • @slaFFik has volunteered to work on tickets relating to the Messages component for the BP 2.2 cycle. It’s his 5% for WordPress via BuddyPress :)

BuddyPress Translations

  • @djpaulgibbs has been trying to get BuddyPress translations in order. Previously, he contacted each validator by email to follow up on translations. Last week, he posted at the make.wordpress.org/polyglots blog to find better ways of communicating with validators about outstanding translations.
  • @slaFFik reported that translations are being pulled from the 2.0 version instead of from the 2.1 version. @boonebgorges pointed to ticket he posted at Meta Trac to follow up on this recurring issue.

2015 BuddyPress Survey

  • The day after the 11/12 dev chat I posted in this blog and at the BP Support forums to open the floor for questions they would like to see in the survey.
  • Survey preparation through posting of survey results can be tracked at #5980.

BuddyPress Codex

  • Codex team needs a curation tool akin to the Recent Codex Activity updates used before or just a page template which renders a list of each revision done in any codex page.
  • New sections have been added to the Codex: Administrator Guide and User Member Guide.
  • @hnla and I continue work on with updating pages, moving other pages to Archives, and creating new pages as needed.

Welcome Screen

  • @djpaulgibbs is still working on some sweet ‘welcome screen’ functionality for BP 2.2.

Slack logs

11/12/2014 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1415822670000366
11/19/2014 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1416427220000990
You need to log in to view the archives. If you don’t have an account set up yet, please proceed to https://make.wordpress.org/chat/

#dev-chat, #slack

Contributor Wants/Needs for 2.0 Dev Cycle

Today, during the #buddypress-dev chat on irc the community chatted about things they wished to contribute during the 2.0 dev cycle.

“I believe that individual features get built quicker and in a more robust way when more than one developer/designer/plumber/etc is directly involved in that process. I think this is the most important workflow change we could and should make this year.” – Paul Gibbs

I’ve compiled a list of things from todays dev chat that contributors want to accomplish before the 2.0 release. The ideas discussed today along with the results of the recent BuddyPress survey will help determine additional milestones. You can track the milestones for 2.0 release here: https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/2.0 

@jjj

  •  Personally, I’d like to try to clean up the Future Release abyss, but that’s another discussion all together.
  • Officially retiring old bbPress and the old bp-forums component; Rewrite Rules; and incorporating a plugin of mine to move profile field visability into the Settings component.
  • I hope we’re able to concentrate heavily on moderation and administration functionalities, including integrating more things into wp-admin where it makes sense. Plus, I’d really like to talk about what a default media / photo album experience looks like, which I know imathfromparis has mentioned recently too.
  • I plan on dedicating more attention to 2.0 than any release in my recent history, so know that I’d like to around and available and a resource for any questions, tickets, ideas, thoughts, the entire cycle.

@djpaul

  • I’m teaming up with Brajesh Singh (of buddydev fame) to work on overhauling the current implementation of xprofile field types. Core has hardcoded pieces of validation and field templating littered throughout itself, and that makes it hard for plugins and themes to add new profile field types. We’re planning to make all this much more sane, and give the power to plugin developers to add bespoke field types. At the very least, we plan to put together a demo plugin alongside these changes to show people how new field types can be added, and I’d like to see if we can find one or two new profile fields which would make a nice addition to core.

http://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5220

@Boone

  • My primary interest for 2.0 is in the activity component
  • Getting last_activity out of there will greatly increase the efficiency of our members queries. Splitting the query will allow us to scale much better with millions of items
  • Begin to implement object caching for certain parts of the activity component, with an eye toward better caching throughout BP
  • Helping along karmatosed’s template project
  • Helping the CPT/activity ticket that’s been in the works for a long time
  • Lurk and commit other people’s patches. Want to give fast feedback to new contributors.

 https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5349

 @Imath

  • Media is a great challenge. I have some ideas about it, mainly around the concept of attachment for other components
  • I also like the idea of having a way to manage user profile fields in the admin
  • Explore a couple ideas around activity, like using heartbeat
  • I think we should also do something for CPT and activity
  • I like to find ways to make the site tracking component more popular
  • I think about listing the registrations and give the ability to manage them
  • Group extension management in the Group Administration screen

@r-a-y

  • Like boonebgorges, I want to make sure our object caching is up to speed. We’ve attempted in various releases to add in object caching where appropriate, but actual production environments are having trouble with cache invalidation especially when logged-in.
  • I’m also interested in the rewrite rules ticket that JJJ is tasked with. Was playing around with that on a recent project and it’s peeked my curiousity.

@Karmatosed

  • I would like to see a (template) sprint. Set a time of 2 weeks and get it prototyped. Call for more hands including core (huge thanks for offers said here). If we keep it small and get this minimal roadmap I think we could do it. Also a freeze – no new stuff.
  • The key to this is cut out the extra stuff. We may drop the side menu.. we may cull other things. The idea is we can refine this over time once have something or even over releases to add bells and whistles. We need to be mean in what is in and out. We also need to kill that long ticket and get it into sections or something that is more manageable :)

https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4952#comment:85

@hnla

  • Codex has a stage two fleshed out with various tasks that must be addressed.
  • Primary amongst those is continuing to edit and update articles – now also with a view to checking for conformance to 1.9 stream retiring any specific to earlier iterations.
  • We have some re-factoring to address changing ‘getting started’ to be a ‘users manual’ and starting a general BP Glossary
  • Mercime is tackling translation issues
  • Lastly we need to follow up and complete the layout re-factoring and menuing where required and will need to speak with core devs with suitable access to these areas, also we need to address a few tickets in trac.

 https://docs.google.com/document/d/19-WnKEH4IfWHL4bnU9_OGRxf4QGUnlPpVOMzk5T1PpI/edit?pli=1#heading=h.4sovg3d0hohl

*If you missed the dev chat you view the irc log here: https://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=buddypress-dev&day=2014-01-22&sort=asc

#2-0, #dev-chat, #irc

We’re postponing tomorrow’s dev chat 2nd January due…

We’re postponing tomorrow’s dev chat (2nd January) due to holidays. Back as usual on 9th January.

#dev-chat

Notes from today’s dev chat * Congrats all…

Notes from today’s dev chat:

  • Congrats all around.
  • Everyone is keeping an eye on trac and the support forums for blockers.
  • Codex team wants better codex architecture. One is in the works using a post type and taxonomies;
  • Core team taking next week off from dev chat. Will resume on October 5.
  • Codex team is still free to wrangle each other together to meet.

#dev-chat

Minutes of November 3rd dev chat: BuddyP…

Minutes of November 3rd dev chat:

BuddyPress1.2.7 release out towards the end of next week to fix a few important bugs that have been found in 1.2.6 (#2203, #2699 and #2685).

BuddyPress 1.3 roadmap items assigned to core devs, except basic profile privacy which is to be reviewed in a couple of weeks. A few new smallish features have been added, and we’ll post links to the relevant trac tickets as-and-when here.

Finally, we decided that dev chats will now happen every Wednesday at 19:00 UTC.

#dev-chat, #irc