Today, during the #buddypress-dev chat on irc the community chatted about things they wished to contribute during the 2.0 dev cycle.
“I believe that individual features get built quicker and in a more robust way when more than one developer/designer/plumber/etc is directly involved in that process. I think this is the most important workflow change we could and should make this year.” – Paul Gibbs
I’ve compiled a list of things from todays dev chat that contributors want to accomplish before the 2.0 release. The ideas discussed today along with the results of the recent BuddyPress survey will help determine additional milestones. You can track the milestones for 2.0 release here: https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/2.0
- Personally, I’d like to try to clean up the Future Release abyss, but that’s another discussion all together.
- Officially retiring old bbPress and the old bp-forums component; Rewrite Rules; and incorporating a plugin of mine to move profile field visability into the Settings component.
- I hope we’re able to concentrate heavily on moderation and administration functionalities, including integrating more things into wp-admin where it makes sense. Plus, I’d really like to talk about what a default media / photo album experience looks like, which I know imathfromparis has mentioned recently too.
- I plan on dedicating more attention to 2.0 than any release in my recent history, so know that I’d like to around and available and a resource for any questions, tickets, ideas, thoughts, the entire cycle.
- I’m teaming up with Brajesh Singh (of buddydev fame) to work on overhauling the current implementation of xprofile field types. Core has hardcoded pieces of validation and field templating littered throughout itself, and that makes it hard for plugins and themes to add new profile field types. We’re planning to make all this much more sane, and give the power to plugin developers to add bespoke field types. At the very least, we plan to put together a demo plugin alongside these changes to show people how new field types can be added, and I’d like to see if we can find one or two new profile fields which would make a nice addition to core.
- My primary interest for 2.0 is in the activity component
- Getting last_activity out of there will greatly increase the efficiency of our members queries. Splitting the query will allow us to scale much better with millions of items
- Begin to implement object caching for certain parts of the activity component, with an eye toward better caching throughout BP
- Helping along karmatosed’s template project
- Helping the CPT/activity ticket that’s been in the works for a long time
- Lurk and commit other people’s patches. Want to give fast feedback to new contributors.
- Media is a great challenge. I have some ideas about it, mainly around the concept of attachment for other components
- I also like the idea of having a way to manage user profile fields in the admin
- Explore a couple ideas around activity, like using heartbeat
- I think we should also do something for CPT and activity
- I like to find ways to make the site tracking component more popular
- I think about listing the registrations and give the ability to manage them
- Group extension management in the Group Administration screen
- Like boonebgorges, I want to make sure our object caching is up to speed. We’ve attempted in various releases to add in object caching where appropriate, but actual production environments are having trouble with cache invalidation especially when logged-in.
- I’m also interested in the rewrite rules ticket that JJJ is tasked with. Was playing around with that on a recent project and it’s peeked my curiousity.
- I would like to see a (template) sprint. Set a time of 2 weeks and get it prototyped. Call for more hands including core (huge thanks for offers said here). If we keep it small and get this minimal roadmap I think we could do it. Also a freeze – no new stuff.
- The key to this is cut out the extra stuff. We may drop the side menu.. we may cull other things. The idea is we can refine this over time once have something or even over releases to add bells and whistles. We need to be mean in what is in and out. We also need to kill that long ticket and get it into sections or something that is more manageable
- Codex has a stage two fleshed out with various tasks that must be addressed.
- Primary amongst those is continuing to edit and update articles – now also with a view to checking for conformance to 1.9 stream retiring any specific to earlier iterations.
- We have some re-factoring to address changing ‘getting started’ to be a ‘users manual’ and starting a general BP Glossary
- Mercime is tackling translation issues
- Lastly we need to follow up and complete the layout re-factoring and menuing where required and will need to speak with core devs with suitable access to these areas, also we need to address a few tickets in trac.
*If you missed the dev chat you view the irc log here: https://irclogs.wordpress.org/chanlog.php?channel=buddypress-dev&day=2014-01-22&sort=asc