- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (June 22, 2022)
- In attendance: @dcavins @im4th
- Slack archive.
11.0.0 tickets needing attention
- #8709: bumping BP 11.0.0 required WP version to 5.7. @im4th added a patch to the ticket and will soon commit it. He requested some new eyes to check nothing was missed.
- #8687: improving the way we load deprecated functions. @dcavins & @im4th had a longer discussion about it. The new logic is to only load the last 2 versions deprecated functions in case BuddyPress was upgraded. This means brand new installs won’t load deprecated functions. Defining the
truewould let new installs load the 2 last versions deprecated functions and defining it to
falsewould load all deprecated functions. @dcavins is amazed by the fact BP > 2.7 installs never had issues although deprecated functions is never loaded in thesee cases. @im4th pointed him to #8702 to illustrate this was actually the opposite happening and said this ticket also needs to be fixed.
- #7614: group members count issues. This ticket was reopened after a bug was raised about the changes we introduced in 10.0.0. @im4th asked @dcavins to have a look at it. He believes we might need a new repare tool in case this count is out of sync.
- #8693: site membership issue on Multisite configs. @dcavins has a plan about it 💪
Progress on roadmap
During June 22’s dev-chat, we discussed about this roadmap for our next couple of major releases. Here’s how we’re progressing about it.
- Attachments / User generated media: it’s 11.0.0 dev cycle main top feature. It’s being developed from our BP Attachments GitHub repository and will be released as a feature as a plugin. After discussing with @dcavins, @im4th thinks v1 should only focus on the Members component. Groups support needs more time to find the best approach about it. So far @im4th has chosen « the media shared in a group belongs to it » approach but doesn’t feel comfortable about it as media should probably always belong to the member who shared it. Problem is: what happens when a member leaves a group? If you have ideas about it, don’t hesitate to share them adding a comment to this GH issue.
11.0.0 initial schedule reminder
- First beta: October 19, 2022.
- Release: December 14, 2022.
It will happen on July 20 at 19:30 UTC in #BuddyPress. If you have specific points you want to discuss about, don’t hesitate to share them in comments.