- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (December 22, 2021)
- In attendance: @vapvarun @dcavins @johnjamesjacoby @im4th
- Slack archive.
Some complementary explanations about the 9.2.0 release
@im4th started the meeting saying some words about this minor version which was released on January 3rd. The download spike (~39K downloads) was reached on January 4th. He apologized about the fact he took the decision quite in a rush without discussing about it during a dev-chat. He explained he wanted to have the BP Search Block released in the WordPress.org directory the soonest so that he could focus on the BP Rewrites feature as a plugin for the coming 15 days. 9.2.0 is including a change needed by the BP Search Block (activity search redirection support).
About BP Rewrites, @johnjamesjacoby wants to dive deeper into the plugin. @im4th said it was ok to delay its release after BuddyPress 10.0.0, if needed, as it’s a BP plugin. He also shared his opinion about a BP Core potential merge.
I believe it needs to stay an add-on for at least 2 major BuddyPress releases, there are too many plugins we need to make sure they still behave right before thinking about merging it into BP Core.imath
Finishing the 10.0.0 Hello BuddyPress screen
If you’ve started testing the RC1 release (if not, do it now!), you already saw it has been finished (See #8605). During the chat, we’ve decided about the 10.0.0 features we want to highlight into this screen:
- Site membership requests
- Richer logging activities
- Improved BuddyPress Administration experience
- The BuddyPress Add-ons tab added to the “Add new” Plugin Administration screen.
- The fact we’ve made sure to be compatible with Twenty Twenty-Two (and full site editing more globally)
- Inside the “under the hood section”: the performance improvements brought by @oztaser (#8296, #8591 & #8426), the Avatar Recycle view as well as BP Signups improvements (#8540).
We also decided to release RC1 as soon as we could (it happened 2 days later) as we already postponed twice our schedule.
Last 10.0.0 schedule
- 10.0.0-RC: January 7, 2022 🏁 ✅
- 10.0.0 stable: January 17, 2022 🎯
@dcavins has been using the 10.0.0-beta2 release on some decent traffic sites and it seems to be working well 💪 😎
@vapvarun brought up to our attention this support forum topic. Our discussion about it lead to an important decision for our next major release : if