Dev Chat Summaries for April 5 & 12, 2017

bp-nouveau template pack

@hnla reported on the bug and a11y fixes made on bp-nouveau to date. He has added a temporary Gruntfile.js, primarily for compiling and linting Sass files, as well as other project-specific configuration files. @mercime will be posting solutions in codepen for removing placeholders from form controls.

Many thanks to @boonebgorges for delving deeply into bp-nouveau and his post introducing the new template pack.

BP REST API

@rayisme has started work on the /members endpoint for the BP REST API locally. He raised a question at the Github repo re Members – GET – List Users Schema. @modemlooper has responded in ticket.

@rayisme noted, “We’ll definitely have the /members endpoint ready by the time BP 2.9 is done, but probably will not be merged into core. The BP REST API will stay as a plugin for at least the next few release cycles until things have been fleshed out, similar to how the WP REST API was a plugin for awhile.”

Trac Tickets

Allow bp_get_group_permalink() to produce HTML links (#7485) @dcavins has committed fix to trunk.

Update bp_group_description_excerpt() to accept a $length param (#7493) @hnla has patch. @dcavins has responded to keep the group as the first parameter.

Required xprofile fields are not validated (#7483) @hnla has confirmed issue reported in ticket. Needs patch.

groups_send_invites() should allow us to omit sending to users that have already received an invite (#7397) @rayisme will be refreshing the patch for BP 2.9.

Include BP Edit Group Slug into the core (#6014) @dcavins refreshed the patch including unit tests. New patch adds support for changing group slug via wp-admin. Dev feedback requested.

Take advantage of BP_Groups_Group magic methods in groups component setup (#7494) @dcavins has patch. Dev feedback requested.

Use JOIN rather than Subquery on user search (#7442) @brandonliles has patch. Dev feedback requested.

Harmful bp_activity indexes (#7500) @johnjamesjacoby in discussion with @brandonliles.

Deprecate the BuddyPress functions for bbPress 1.x forums (#6851) @johnjamesjacoby introduced a motion to “remove bp-forums pretty much completely, or relegate it to its own compatibility plugin like we did Wire and Status.”
@boonebgorges concurred with the compat plugin route and noted, “I’d like to stage it over maybe two releases, with large warnings in the interim release if you are running legacy forums. Maybe even block upgrade to the removing-version if we detect you are running it (like we did with the 5.3 requirement). How many of them will upgrade to BP 3.0 or 3.1, that’s another question. But it’s easy enough for us to create barriers to white screens, so we should do so.” @johnjamesjacoby: “Making this release ideal for the warning. I think the 3.0.0 release is a nice round number to cut the old legacy forum cord, too.” @boonebgorges: “So admin notices + upgrade-blocks for 2.9, and maybe some logic in 3.0 that prevents loading the full plugin if the compat plugin is not found. Someone will need to wrangle all of the necessary steps, including preparing and releasing the compat plugin.”
@johnjamesjacoby has volunteered for the tasks, “the pleasure of the pain will all be mine.”

Create administration sections for every component that’s currently lacking an interface

@johnjamesjacoby: Friends, Messages, and Notifications basically. “Preferably, I’d like to also stagger the work on those, so the expectation isn’t to have a 100% fully covered and integrated interface that covers all users and use-cases. Similar to Groups Admin (how you can’t create a new group from within wp-admin). I really also want a live-chat style Messages UI while you’re in wp-admin”
@boonebgorges: “Big +1 to more admin coverage, though we should think carefully about whether each of these BP components needs its own top-level item. (Friends may be properly a property of Users, rather than its own thing, or whatever).”
@johnjamesjacoby: “Right now, all of BuddyPress makes theme-side websites better, and that’s awesome, and it should, and always will. But once you enter wp-admin, BuddyPress doesn’t actually help WordPress itself be a better piece of software for managing users, community content, etc. We don’t need to talk about all of the detail-work right now, but I wanted to drop that vision in here now, so everyone has an idea of what I’m thinking, and we can maybe try to hit that vision hard in 3.0 and beyond. Hopefully 2.9 and Nouveau and everything else will keep the traditional BuddyPress installation type satisfied for a few years, enough time to work on REST API, wp-admin integration, maybe some GraphQL if we like that, etc.”

BP Theme Compatibility

A basic visualization of the BuddyPress Theme Compat is now available for bp-templates/bp-legacy. Use Ctl/Cmd +/- to zoom in/out, scroll up/down or click + drag right/left to navigate. Visualizations for bbPress Theme Compat and the upcoming bp-nouveau template pack are also in the works.

Slack logs:
https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1491418861341587
https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1492023677928317
(Slack account is required)

#dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for March 29, 2017

BuddyPress 2.9

  • There are currently 35 tickets in queue (8 closed, 27 open).
  • June 7, 2017 – Beta 1

bp-nouveau

@hnla gave a project status update. He will also be “tending to ongoing styling /layout concerns plus adding to the project cards. In terms of primary work the core focus needs to be on the Switcher element in core as outlined in #7157 – UI to pick Template Packs.”

Trac Tickets

Improve message after successful group invitation acceptance (#7486) @dcavins has patch. Will hold committing till after #7485 is resolved.

Allow `bp_get_group_permalink()` to produce HTML links (#7485) @dcavins has patch.

Multisite Relevant emails Display for editing on single site (#7480) c/o @johnjamesjacoby

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function `get_do_autolink()` on null (#7337) needs patch.

`BP_Groups_Group::group_exists()` should be cached (#7447) @dcavins has committed fix to trunk.

Only load component action and screen code when we’re on the component’s page (#7218) @rayisme has patch. Feedback requested.

Include BP Edit Group Slug into the core (#6014) @dcavins has updated patch. Feedback requested.

Messages: member page messages are queried for the loggedin user (#7096) @dcavins has updated patch. Feedback requested.

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1490813828429272

BP 2.9 Kick-Off Meeting – March 22, 2017

BP 2.9 Scoping/Wishlist

bp-nouveau Template Pack

@hnla, 2.9 Release Lead, will focus on getting bp-nouveau ready for integration into core this dev cycle. He noted, “bp-nouveau represents a clean break from those older templates, clean markup, new styles new file structure with include files and function files managing components and affords us the opportunity to build a better BP than ever before.”

@hnla encouraged all core devs to have a local install running the plugin version and to reconvene at next meeting for a renewed focus & to air any concerns. He has added the following guides to the project for all who want to contribute:

  • Milestones: https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/milestones
  • Project cards: https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/projects

The major steps to get this project for inclusion are pretty much covered by the milestones but broadly fall into:
1. Core integration: adding the switching mechanism to core admin settings, working out the logic for default selection & some means of registering packs in use.
2. Testing the process for stylesheet building and testing the core files merged to trunk along with possible gruntfile adjustments required.
3. Testing of components by device( mobile/ desktop & browser versions) and testing.
4. Testing Accessibility.

@boonebgorges: “I share Hugo’s belief that the time has come to move beyond bp-legacy, and I think that a new set of templates is critical for the future of the project. I’m going to be working with Hugo over the next few weeks to develop some materials that’ll introduce the rest of the team to the workings of bp-nouveau, as well as more details on a plan for moving toward merge, with the idea of soliciting as much energy and contribution from the broader team as possible.” He will help to get bp-nouveau in for 2.9.

@mercime noted that per her initial a11y audit of bp-nouveau (last year), there were items which needed to be fixed in core first. Edit – Most items have been fixed, there are only a few remaining a11y issues which will affect template pack left in core.

@modemlooper likes the Template Pack UI in admin which he thinks will open up lots of customization … spawning child themes of bp-nouveau.

@dcavins volunteered to help with bp-nouveau. @hnla mentioned his concerns with group creation wanted it more a one step process that we could then paginate if we wanted to but accessing certain meta is hard such as group ID at some points where you need it. @dcavins: “I also have some feelings about group creation. (Like change it to one step then redirect to the new group to setup.)”

@boonebgorges will be working on a summary document about bp-nouveau’s status plus user-facing and developer-oriented features over the next week or so.

BP REST API

@rayisme would like to see where we’re currently at and what we can accomplish in this dev cycle. @boonebgorges responded, “it needs someone to take the lead – there was some initial work done on the Members endpoint but it needs to be seen through.”

BuddyPress.org Redesign

@hnla brought up the redesign site/mockups by @modemlooper and @karmatosed and wanted to know the best way to get the redesign implemented.

@rayisme: “There are elements I like about both. modemlooper’s orange header + iconfont section and karmatosed’s “Are you a user / developer” section. At first, I didn’t like the orange header, but I like that it’s a little in-your-face.”

@modemlooper‘s design was à la https://jetpack.com/ and said, “the design reboot started because I thought the homepage lacked alot of marketing points.” @karmatosed thought that doing original design is good. She’s happy to noodle some more.

@johnjamesjacoby: “Naturally, I have opinions, but mostly I really want all of y’all to feel like these themes are yours to create/enjoy also. It seems like everyone is still in the “I wonder what this or that might look or feel like” which is totally fine. No rush, no agenda, and if something naturally suddenly clicks into the place, we should head that direction.”

Dev Chat Schedule

This is a friendly reminder that starting Wednesday, March 29, dev chat at the #buddypress channel on Slack.com will be at 19:00 UTC through the end of Daylight Savings Time for both U.S. and Europe.

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1490212929620791
(Slack account is required)

#bp-nouveau, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summaries for December 21 & 28, 2016

BP 2.8 Trac Tickets

BP 2.8 – Prevent loading if PHP < 5.3 (#7277) @boonebgorges has patch. Dev feedback requested (esp. @johnjamesjacoby & @djpaulgibbs).

Removal of `create_function` usage for BP 2.8 (#7325) @tw2113 has patches.

Anonymize BP Core Dependency functions file. (#7335) Closed as wontfix.

`groups_promote_member()` shouldn’t attempt to fetch ⁠⁠⁠⁠BP_Core_User⁠⁠⁠⁠ object (#7382) Patch needs unit tests. Assigned to @boonebgorges.

Add a “buddypress” class to body element of wp-admin (#7353) @slaffik has committed fix to trunk.

Component Maintainers

@slaffik will be contacting everyone who volunteered to maintain BP components in Trac.

@dcavins would like notifications from Trac for new tickets under the Group components. He mentioned different workarounds like getting Slack notifications for the Groups component to getting the RSS feed from Trac for the specific component. @johnjamesjacoby: “We’d need to merge into our Trac what’s already in WordPress Trac. That’s probably Dion and/or Nacin.” @netweb noted after the chat that there’s a ticket in Meta Trac to get this underway.

🥂 Wishing Everyone a Happy & Prosperous New Year! 🥂

Slack logs:
Dec. 21 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1482350517001398
Dec. 28 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1482955219002247

#7277, #7325, #7335, #7353, #7382, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for November 16, 2016

Trac Gardening

@slaffik has been reviewing old tickets, closing some, adding others to 2.8, and “providing feedback where I see fit.” A friendly reminder to core devs to review tickets marked with `2nd-opinion`⁠⁠⁠⁠ and `⁠⁠⁠⁠dev-feedback`.

Welcome to our New Committers!

Congratulations to @slaffik and @netweb and @offereins for getting commit access! We all look forward to working with you in making BuddyPress greater than ever 🙂

Banners for the BuddyPress 2016 Survey

@johnjamesjacoby has added banners linking to the BuddyPress 2016 Survey at https://buddypress.org and https://codex.buddypress.org The survey will run through November 30, 2016.

buddypress-2016-survey

Bumping Required WordPress Version

BuddyPress 2.8 will require at least WordPress 4.3. (#7350)

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1479326430001024

#7350, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for November 9, 2016

Trac Clean Up

@slaffik proposed the following actions to address the 654+ tickets in the Future Release milestone:
1) Go through tickets with 2nd-opinion and dev-feedback – and reply, close, or consider working on it.
2) Go through tickets that were updated years ago – and consider them to be closed by default, but read and investigate the value. If a ticket has been left for a long time in Trac, it’s either not that important, a duplicate, hard, or forgotten.

@johnjamesjacoby noted, “Proper organization, along with timely responses, I think are more important, but I agree that keeping it tidy reduces the cognitive burden of ‘holy moly there are 500 things to do.'”

Components maintainers

@slaffik and @djpaulgibbs will be preparing a post calling for BuddyPress component maintainers soon. Per previous dev chat, there’s a Google Spreadsheet @offereins prepared earlier this year. @slaffik has added a new sheet, ‘Blad 2’, listing components per trac.

Trac Tickets

BuddyPress MU (#4732) Closed as wontfix.

Add Help Pointers to Admin (#4672) Closed as wontfix.

BuddyPress 2016 Survey

The survey for Theme/Plugin Developers and Site Builders will be running through November 30, 2016. https://buddypress.org/2016/11/2016-buddypress-survey-site-builders-developers/

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1478721656000684

#4672, #4732, #dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for November 2, 2016

BuddyPress 2.7.2

@johnjamesjacoby packaged and released BuddyPress 2.7.2 on November 4, 2016. This is a maintenance release and a recommended upgrade.

BuddyPress 2.8.0

Schedule

  • January 4, 2017 – Beta 1
  • January 18, 2017 – Release Candidate 1 (string freeze)
  • January 25, 2017 – Target release date

@slaffik, the 2.8 Release Lead whose “developer heart loves things like PHP5.3+ and changed focus in development”, would like to focus on the following:
1. Components with highest tasks number – because people care about them the most
2. Components with lowest tasks number – because they are good candidates to become 0-tasks, which is cool for Trac health
3. Working UI for developer features started development in 2.6 and 2.7
4. Security – He will dive into this topic as he developed a huge interest recently and will do an audit.

His ultimate goal is to decrease the number of tickets (650+) in Trac by 50%. Responding to @boonebgorges‘ question how he planned to meet that goal aside from own labor, @slaffik wrote that he is looking into implementing the concept of BP Component Maintainers which @offereins volunteered to set up a few months ago at Google Docs.

@djpaulgibbs cautioned, “I’m not sure most of the tickets in the Future Release milestone have been looked at in a long time, and I bet most of them are not assigned to the best Component (many probably pre-date the current lists of Components) so maybe we want to review them all first.”

@slaffik also would like to see improvements made on BuddyPress.org and codex.buddypress.org “but first I need to install all that locally and play a bit and see how things are working.”

developer.buddypress.org
@dcavins: “I’d love to see the new documentation site @tw2113 has been working on go public.”
@tw2113: “Regarding the dev site, a lot of me wants to say let’s get it set up and manually run for now, and we can work on automation later on. Perhaps get it logged in only access at developer.buddypress.org and have everyone start doing final QA.”

Caching improvements
@boonebgorges: “I don’t have any particular pet projects in mind for 2.8, but I plan to be around to help with miscellaneous stuff. Maybe more caching improvements.”

Build tooling, Behat, wp-admin area
@djpaulgibbs: I’m planning to help iterate on the build tooling. And continue to work on a test suite around Behat, which I’ve been doing for the last 3 months, but I don’t know if it’ll get ready enough in time for 2.8 consideration. Also the wp-admin area / welcome screens, @mercime and I have discussed them a bunch in a past. There’s so much we could do there. Maybe that’s something we could look at.”

BuddyPress Types UI
@boonebgorges: @dcavins started work on admin UI for group/member type creation. I’ve started to dig into it myself, and that could be a good kickoff for improved wp-admin stuff.
@dcavins: The first-draft code so far is publicly available at https://github.com/dcavins/bp-types-ui. Once @boonebgorges has worked it over, I imagine it will move to its original repo at https://github.com/buddypress/bp-types-ui.

Accessibility
@mercime: On my end, work on improving accessibility continues. Btw, one survey participant thanked us for a11y improvements. @boonebgorges: The a11y improvements are huge – aside from being the right thing to do, they also make it easier to sell BP with confidence to organizations that are legally required to meet certain a11y standards.
@mercime: There’s lots more to do, but it can be done. The most challenging area would be the xProfile draggable fields in wp-admin, I will do that last.

BP REST-API
@boonebgorges: “I have been working with @bronsonquick to work up a kickoff for the project. It’s been slow going because of scheduling issues between the two of us. I would like to do a public kickoff in the next few weeks, even if I have to prep the documents myself. We have some ideas for a proposed outline and work plan, which we want to bring to the community for feedback.
“Phasing in support over several releases. Prioritizing certain components and prioritizing read vs read-write with an eye toward selecting a couple of projects as good first implementations (which will guide the endpoint strategy). Anyway, I’ll work on getting that initial document ready, and then I’ll work with @slaffik to schedule a meeting where we can talk about the path forward. The purpose of preparing a document is just so we have a starting point for conversation – all the decisions will be made in the open.”

BP Follow, Component Loading
@rayisme: “For 2.8, I’m keen on #7218 for the time being. There was a ticket talking about folding BP Follow into Core, which I’ve been meaning to reply to (and will), but there are a couple of technical ideas in BP Follow that conflicts with other tickets.”

2016 BuddyPress Survey for Site Builders and Developers

The survey is will be open till November 30, 2016. Some updates from those who have responded so far:

  • Six survey participants have already expressed interest in sharing how they are using BuddyPress.
  • All respondents are using PHP versions 5.3 and above.
  • One respondent appreciated accessibility improvements.

@johnjamesjacoby noted, “I like the idea of putting the survey front & center on BuddyPress.org, the same way WordPress.org does.” @mercime will prepare patch for the survey banner.

Your feedback is most welcome! https://buddypress.org/2016/11/2016-buddypress-survey-site-builders-developers/

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1478113373000026

#7218, #dev-chat