BuddyPress 2.3.3 is out now. Important upgrade. https://buddypress.org/2015/08/buddypress-2-3-3/
Release Date: After WP 4.3.0 rolls out next week.
There are three open tickets:
- Wrong shape of the CROP size of the group thumbnail (#6551)
- Mentions.js fails on wp-admin post editor (#6487)
- WP 4.3 changes in WP_List_Table (#6465)
@djpaulgibbs has volunteered to help move these tickets forward.
Add UI for adding Profile Header Images for Users and Groups
- (#6570) @im4th opened the conversation which lasted ~ one hour on the best way forward for this new feature. This resulted with great feedback from @johnjamesjacoby, @rayisme, @djpaulgibbs, and @hnla.
- Points made:
- Feature is available for all themes.
member-header.phpgets the new hotness, and nothing gets broken if the feature is not activated.
- Create new template part with new markup, styles, and JS as needed
- Integrate a flexible header image for admin-area profiles, user dashboard
- If a custom template part is used in theme, then nothing happens because theme compatibility would never include anything in
bp-legacy. If they are relying on theme compatibility and
bp-legacythen they get the new markup and CSS that we give them.
- Users/theme authors will be able to edit their
home.phptemplate to support this new feature
- Feature is available for all themes.
- More to follow. Odds are, there will be some fast and furious work coming soon.
Conversation replies don’t immediately inherit the HTML of custom templates
- (#6572) @rayisme introduced a new template part to replace the hardcoded markup used to render a single message item in ticket. Discussion in dev chat then ensued to solve one of the two hard things to do in computer science, naming things . Consensus was reached on the name of the new template part, simply
- Update: Patch has been committed to core.
@since standard not parseable with phpDocumentor 2
@sincetags throughout the BuddyPress project needs to be revised/updated to parse docs correctly in preparation for developer.buddypress.org.
- @tw2113 will be working on this.
Attachment API conflicts with wp_enqueue_media()
- (#6574) This is a carry-over from the mini devchat last August 5th re fixing JS error with the media uploader. @im4th is working on this with feedback from @johnjamesjacoby and @djpaulgibbs.
- Current patch is a quick fix for 2.3.x.
BuddyCamp Brighton, U.K.
This event was a success based on the feedback from the attendees. Congratulations to @djpaulgibbs and @karmatosed, organizers of the first BuddyCamp in Europe, as well as to all the speakers and presenters!
- @im4th has posted about his BuddyCamp experience in français along with his slides at his site.
- @modemlooper has uploaded his BuddyCamp video about mobilizing your BuddyPress site @ Dropbox.
If you want to include links to your BuddyCamp Brighton slides/videos or photos, post a comment below and we’ll add it to the list above.
Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1439406192001125
About a year ago, i was introducing the BP Attachments plugin.
What happened since in this plugin’s repo?
Not much, unfortunately. And i guess i’m partly responsible about it. So first i’d like to thank Landwire who is the only one apart from me who reported issues or asked questions about the plugin.
1) do we want a BuddyPress Attachments feature to land in core in a future release?
My personal reply is of course!
During the BuddyCamp Brighton, many of you came to talk to me about their eagerness to finally be able to rely on a core feature about Attachments. So I think the majority of the members of the BuddyPress community are waiting for this to happen.
2) Am I right?
What happened since in BuddyPress core?
In 2.3.0 the core team introduced the BP Attachments API. We first took care of the Users/Groups profile photos so that they are now using it. We now have a new extendable Avatar UI to deal with user submitted uploads.
These last two weeks, I’ve been working “fast & furious” on the BP Attachments plugin so that it now fully uses the BP Attachments API. Watch this demo about it :)
As you can see the plugin is extending the new Avatar UI to manage any user uploads.
If you replied “yes” to my two questions, then you should really consider contributing to the BP Attachments plugin to help us make it great!
Growing out of some discussions between team members over the last year or two, along with some musing on https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6258, I’ve drafted a page explaining our WP version compatibility guidelines: https://codex.buddypress.org/wordpress-version-compatibility/ I’m sure that anyone reading this site always runs WP bleeding on their sites ;) but if you have any thoughts on these guidelines, please feel free to comment here.
On a related note, BuddyPress 2.4 will require WP 3.8. We will no longer actively build workarounds for WP < 3.8, and 3.7 will be removed from our Travis matrix (3.6 was already untested – 3.7 was when the /src transition took place). See https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/10031 and https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6258#comment:9.
Apologies for not posting updates here lately. This is a compilation of all the informal and official chats during the month of July ( 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and in between) as well as relevant activities in Trac. It’s organized to give you a bird’s-eye view of the cool & amazing BuddyPress features and enhancements coming soon and those which have already landed.
There will be a minor release coming up to address some necessary fixes and updates. Seven tickets are currently slated for this release, four of which have been completed namely:
- Add BuddyPress Menus to Customizer (#6509)
- bp_create_excerpt returning mall-formed markup (#6517)
- Minor class change for bp-core-admin-tools.php (#6561)
- WP 4.3 changes in WP_List_Table (#6465)
- The list of tickets slated for BP 2.3.3 are available on this page.
- Release date: TBA
- Target Release Date: October 6, 2015
- BP 2.4.0 Beta 1: two weeks before release
Twenty-four trac tickets have been closed to date. The complete list of all tickets completed for BP 2.4.0 are available on this page. Some tickets noted were:
- Separate functions for creating a new nav link and registering a screen function (#6534)
- New Filter for Groups Widgets and Members Widgets (#6513)
Eight-two more tickets are slated for 2.4.0. Keep updated with the complete list of these tickets on this page. The following have also been highlighted in compiled chats:
xProfile fields used for signup should be configurable (#6347) @johnjamesjacoby. This feature would allow admins to cherry pick which profile field from any profile field group will be included in the registration page.
Continue xProfile field improvements @johnjamesjacoby continues to tackle tickets relating to xProfile Fields and xProfile Field Groups.
User roles with different profile fields (#5192) @boonebgorges worked with @offereins, @tanner and @im4th on the “first killer feature for member types.” Screenshot on the left below shows the new metabox on the profile field edit panel which allows the administrator to select the member types to which the field is applicable if you’ve set up member types in your site and none were selected. Screenshot on the right shows a profile field unavailable to all members. Patches have been committed to trunk. Testing welcome.
A new API to manage single items navigation (#6534) @im4th and @boonebgorges discuss strategies to make the new navigation API much more flexible and configurable than what’s currently available — “register nav items in a maximal way with callbacks, i.e., always register them, and then allow them to be suppressed when rendered, according to whatever access conditions have been set up.”
Add UI for adding Profile Header Images for Users and Groups (#6570) aka Cover Photos. Screenshot below is a teaser of the profile header image within the Twenty Thirteen theme. This feature is still in the preliminary stage as the conversation continues between @im4th and @johnjamesjacoby to determine the best approach to set up cover photos using the BP Attachments API. @modemlooper and @buddyboss have also shared how they implement this feature in a plugin or theme respectively.
Inline Documentation (#6396 through #6407) second pass by @tw2113 to clean up and update inline documentation. He’s also planning to parse out all the @todo notations and start some tickets for those items.
Fix for bp_groups-template in order to support Ajax for group admin actions (#6387) @rayisme has uploaded patch to allow developers to use group template functions across all group contexts. Dev feedback needed.
Accessibility fixes for bp-legacy templates (#6531) and BP admin screens (#6532) @mercime has uploaded patches for the two tickets. @im4th has committed patches for the Avatar UI uploader in the frontend screen and has added patches for the uploader in the backend.
BP Emails: @djpaulgibbs kicked off the BP emails discussion last July 8th which lasted for ~ two hours. Topics included: current WP email solutions/plugins, email queueing, needing a real cron job, BP_Email Class or not, BP email templates, possible Customizer piggyback, including modern PHP library, making the emails customizable by administrators, class/interface that implements the integration with a delivery service, etc.
Devhub for BuddyPress and bbPress: @djpaulgibbs will share more about these projects soon.
- BuddyPress and bbPress are now part of the plugins tab at translate.wordpress.org. Read about it at the Polyglots blog.
- If you have any questions about this change, leave a message here or ping @djpaulgibbs in the #buddypress slack channel.
BuddyCamp Brighton, UK
- Reminder: The first BuddyCamp in Europe is this coming Saturday, August 8! The schedule has been posted and tickets are still available.
- Speakers: Paul Gibbs, Tammie Lister, Rocío Valdivia, Mathieu Viet, Hugo Ashmore, Sven Lehnert, and Michael Eisenwasser
- Sponsored by: Bluehost, PlanetHoster, GoDaddy, WPML, Human Made, BuddyBoss, BuddyForms, WooCommerce, WebDevStudios, DataFlexor, Make Do, and Connected. Thank you!
- Update: Read @djpaulgibbs new post about BuddyCamp Brighton at our BuddyPress blog.
Interview with Paul Gibbs and John James Jacoby
Tomorrow (Wed 29 July, 2015), let’s use dev chat to set roadmap and dates for BuddyPress 2.4, and figure out what we need to do to ship the fixes in the 2.3 branch.
If you can’t make dev chat yet have feedback you’d like the team to consider, please either leave a note in our Slack channel, or comment on this post. Thanks!
BuddyPress @ WordCamp Europe 2015 Contributor Day, Spain
- WCEU Contributor Day is this coming Sunday, June 28th! If you want to join and contribute to BuddyPress, you’d need to register separately for that day at this webpage by clicking on the “Start Survey” button near the bottom of the page.
- @DJPaulGibbs will be leading the BP contributors team and will be guiding you in the areas you’d like to get involved in: coding, designing, documentation, helping out in the forums, among others.
- Attached below is the video he made inviting you to join the BP Group.
Eye on Accessibility
- (#6531) and (#6532) – @mercime posted the tickets to address accessibility issues found in some BP templates and a few BP admin screens. @hnla mentioned that there are a few more areas which need some attention as well. The tickets above focused only on the items which were red-flagged during accessibility checks.
bp_create_excerpt returning malformed markup
- (#6517) @boonebgorges has committed the patch to fix some tag-parsing issues introduced in a previous ticket based on @hnla’s report. Boone has added another patch which fixed the issue brought up by @danbp about the error which showed up when the string to be truncated contains markup.
Improvements on Extended Profile Fields
- @johnjamesjacoby will be focusing on sign up fields and improvements to the profile fields for early 2.4.0.
Member-type-specific xProfile Fields
- @boonebgorges mentioned that he’d like to work on member-type-specific xProfile fields “but this probably depends on JJJ’s work, so we’ll see how that goes.” JJJ mentioned that @tanner has done something similar and Boone noted that @offereins also did some significant work towards this (e.g. in #5192).
- Both @offereins and @tanner have indicated their interest to help make this happen for 2.4.0. 👍 👍
Wrapper for Member Tabs Setup
- @boonebgorges would also like to explore a BP_Group_Extension-like wrapper for member tab setup and mentioned that he and @dcavins should take a meeting to discuss this. @dcavins in turn said that @im4th was exploring the navigation tabs for his work in #6026 (Blogs with “profiles”).
- Looks like this is moving towards setting up one super API to manage all BP navigation/subnav items that would be backwards compatible. 🎊
Tickets Ready for Review
- @rayisme requested dev feedback for the two tickets he’s been working on lately: (#6387) Fix for bp_groups-template in order to support Ajax for group admin actions and (#5817) Additional styling support for BuddyPress Widgets.
Addendum: bbPress Survey 2015
- Please take the 2015 bbPress Survey and tell your friends! https://bbpress.org/blog/2015/05/2015-bbpress-survey/ The survey will end a few days after the 4th of July.
Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/buddypress/p1435172534000027