- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (September 9, 2020)
- In attendance: @vapvarun @dcavins @espellcaste @boonebgorges @johnjamesjacoby @IAmTheWebb @im4th
- Slack archive
First, here’s a clarification regarding the context in which this meeting took place : @im4th thought we were a week before 7.0.0-beta1 release 😆 and urge BuddyPress contributors to review the remaining tickets scheduled for the 7.0.0 milestone! We’re now (October 3rd) 2 weeks away from this beta release 😇.
Due to lack of time, we’ve decided to work on the following features during the 8.0.0 development cycle:
- Attachments for BuddyPress (#8022)
- BP Members Invitations (#8139)
- Block based Activity post form (#8319) *
- Activity Scheduling (#7953) *
* FYI: the BP Blocks plugin used to develop BP Blocks is also used to develop these two features. You can early play with the Block Based Activity post form and the activity scheduling feature, thanks to this plugin, on a testing site. Contributions are always welcome!
- BP Types UI have been included into Core. It’s now possible to manage Group & Member types from the WordPress administration. More information about it here.
- The BP REST API now includes a new endpoint to let logged in users to create new blogs (if the network settings allow it). See this GitHub PR.
7.0.0 remaining tickets
- @dcavins will work on #8297 & #8310
- @espellcaste will commit the patches for #8011 & #8308 to prepare the BP WP CLI 2.0 upgrade (these 2 tickets have been fixed shortly after our dev chat).
- @espellcaste will improve how the BP REST API endpoint fetches Group activities. See #353 (It has been fixed thanks to this GitHub PR shortly after our dev-chat).
- @im4th will work on #8355, #8357, #8365 and #8360. He’ll also look into the work has been doing about UGC
relattribute (See #8326)
7.0.0 BP Blocks
There will be a new block to embed an activity into a post. During the dev chat we agreed it was important to add 2 more blocks : BP Members & BP Groups blocks. See #8369. (The members one has since been built!)
Some great code improvements has been added by @espellcaste into the BP Blocks plugin. He also suggested we start having regular meetings specific to BuddyPress blocks. So here’s a poll to see if you’re interested about it.
Here are some topics we could discuss about during these specific meetings:
- How to attract WP Block developers to have fun with BP ones?
- How to smoothly prepare the Block Based Activity post form merge into Core so that BuddyPress Plugins developer can start working on migrating the feature they add to the legacy post form into the block based one?
- How BuddyPress could benefit from React, WP React components + BP REST API to improve the user experience?
- What about a “Block ready” Template pack or a BuddyPress standalone theme?
7.0.0 release schedule
- 7.0.0-beta1: October 15 💆🏻
- 7.0.0 : December 1st
We’ve been discussing about how to improve the way we communicate towards contributors about features/code improvements added to upcoming BuddyPress releases. @im4th suggested to use this blog to post these kind of updates making sure to use the “Development notes” a sub-category of it for the version number. For instance you can quickly read important changes to expect in BuddyPress 7.0.0 from there: Development notes/7.0.
@IAmTheWebb asked us about how he could update some BP Codex pages. Regular contributors we trust like him can ping me
@imath on WP Slack or request an access during our Core dev-chats to make this happen! We are very interested into welcoming new Documentation contributors 🙌 🤝.