- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (November 17, 2021)
- In attendance: @dcavins @vapvarun @espellcaste @im4th
- Slack archive.
Updates about featured tickets
#8582 Add site membership requests
@im4th tested the patch @dcavins updated lately and found some issues when BuddyPress is network activated on a WordPress Multisite configuration. In such a configuration, the site membership request feature is only available when the WordPress registration setting is “Logged in users may register new sites” (1) or “Registration is disabled” (2).
- In the first case (1), the request membership form includes a checkbox to request a site at the same time, and once the form is submitted the user receives an email to activate their account instead of the awaiting moderation email.
- In the second case (2), once the request membership form is submitted, an empty registration page is displayed and the site membership request is not created.
@dcavins is working on fixes about these two issues to have the feature ready for the BuddyPress 10.0.0-beta1 release.
#8451 Extending no content activities with images and call of actions
Great progress were made about this feature:
- The BP Attachments API will include a new method to add file revisions. This is needed by the feature to keep an history of the uploaded profile photos so that generated activities always display the profile photo that was set when the activity was published.
- The BP Template hierarchy will be improved so that it’s possible to override the layout of the activity content based on its activity type.
- @im4th will try to add the needed adaptations to the Avatar Backbone views so that they includes a new tab to recycle or delete previously uploaded profile photos from history.
- @vapvarun will work on the generated activity layouts to differentiate them according to the (no-content) activity types.
Other tickets/GitHub PR needing attention
- @espellcaste couldn’t stay long during the chat but reminded us about the BP REST plugin Pull Requests needing a review.
- to ease BP Rewrites testing @im4th wants to tackle #8148 during the 10.0.0 development cycle.
- A first step has been made about making BuddyPress more friendly with themes supporting the WordPress Full Site Editing feature, see this commit message for a detailed explanation. You’ll find below a screenshot of the Activity directory displayed into the next WordPress 5.9 default theme: Twenty Twenty-Two.
Updated 10.0.0 schedule
We’ve updated the 10.0.0 schedule for the last time 😅. @dcavins alerted us about the comments on the Tavern’s post about our initial released date which was December 24, 2021. To avoid causing some stress to site administrators (and to the team ☺) during the christmas period, we’ve decided to postpone the release date to January 5, 2022. We also took this opportunity to give us one last week to add the final touches to the first 10.0.0 beta release.
- 10.0.0-beta1: December 10, 2021 👈
- 10.0.0 stable: January 5, 2022 🎯