- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (September 22, 2021)
- In attendance: @espellcaste @dcavins @vapvarun @johnjamesjacoby @im4th
- Slack archive.
- Many thanks to the contributors who commented our last dev chat summary about whether or not we should raise the BuddyPress required WordPress version to 5.4. During this dev-chat, we’ve taken in account your feedbacks, kept on discussing a bit about the subject, and we’ve decided 10.0.0 will require WordPress 5.4. Yesterday @im4th suggested a first patch about it and we’ll keep you informed when it will be converted into trunk. Don’t hesitate to contribute to it from this ticket #8571. We’ve also decided to include WP 5.4 to the GH action that runs PHPUnit tests after each commit to our development version. So far, we were only testing the latest WordPress stable version and the development one, fearing about exceeding our GH Actions quotas 😱.
- @vapvarun is progressing on Legacy Widgets for community stats (before doing the Widget Block jump!) and impressed us with rich content activities for « poor » activities like « a member changed their profile photo ». He opened a ticket about it: see #8451. We believe these could be a nice enhancement to the activity streams.
- @espellcaste is working on patches to improve our inline documentation 💪 : see #8553.
- @im4th has been working on the BP Attachments feature as a plugin lately and hopes he’ll be able to have a first beta ready before the end of BuddyPress 10.0.0 development cycle.
- @dcavins made progress about the Site Membership request feature and a first patch is available on this ticket: #8582. Feedbacks are very welcome.
- We’ve also discussed about refreshing our BP Admin tabbed screens to use the look & feel of the Site-Health & Privacy settings screens. A first patch is waiting for your feedbacks there: #8588.
- 10.0.0-beta 1: ~ november 20, 2021,
- 10.0.0 stable: ~ december 24, 2021 🎄
@im4th asked the team to keep an eye on TwentyTwentyTwo new WordPress default theme and to the progress of the full site editing feature in WordPress 5.9-alpha/Gutenberg plugin. He reminded us about potential difficulties to have BuddyPress behaving the best way with Themes using this Full Site Editing feature. See #8474.
October 20 Dev-Chat Agenda
We hope to chat with you soon!