Dev Chat Summaries for April 19 & 26, 2017

BuddyPress 2.9

  • June 7 – Beta 1
  • June 14 – Beta 2
  • June 28 – Release Candidate 1
  • July 5 – BP 2.9.0 Release Date
  • There are currently 45 tickets slated for this release (19 closed, 26 open).

bp-nouveau

@hnla updates:

  • @mercime and I have been tackling various tasks including a11y aspects for form elements.
  • Made adjustments to the message displays to improve those adding icons as separate child elements rather than hooking to the parent element to be able to hide using aria roles.
  • New buddypress-wrap class added to the main wrapper so we don’t use the same class for body as we do the inner div.
  • Improving the ease of updating search & filter wrapping elements extracting to one include file so we only need to work in three files for all elements.
  • Created a new function to manage group descriptions excerpts to change $length values if the list display is set as grid boxes, which was required to effect an equal height-ish box.
  • Improved group grid layouts to improve those for min-heights and general breakpoints.
  • Refactored action elements in list layout views for better positioning & flow, removing absolute positioning in favor of stacking to the left on larger screens.
  • General refining of elements such as title sizes, metadata, and displays. A little attention was given to single screen subnavs to try and define them better visually at small/mobile screen layouts.
  • Travis CI is now up and running for bp-nouveau. Thanks @netweb. to the project

BP Trac Tickets

Only load component action and screen code when we’re on the component’s page (#7218) @r-a-y has refreshed patch. Requests opinion on the approaches taken before proceeding.

friends_add_friend() should convert accepted arguments (#7506) @r-a-y has committed fix to trunk.

Add identifying tag parameter to bp_has_*() loop arguments. (#7503) @dcavins requested dev feedback.

When user is not logged, if he/she clicks email link to view new messages gets 404 page when should get login page (#7349) @r-a-y has committed fixes for redirection issues and improving UX. Has refreshed patch after commits. Dev feedback requested.

Use stylelint to lint SCSS & CSS replacing Ruby Gem `scss_lint` (#7028) @hnla follows up with @netweb. We need to get this in early in dev cycle to test.

Move asset template parts away from bp-legacy (#7116) @r-a-y’s proposal only applies to core functionality like emails, embed, and attachments.

bp_group_has_members performs unnecessary query (#7513) @dcavins has patch for dev feedback.

JS Enqueued On Non-BuddyPress Admin Pages (#7512) @r-a-y has looked into issue posted by @kstover and requested more information since BP’s caret.js is enqueued correctly on admin pages.

Resize member avatar error with cyrillic (not latin) filename (#7484) @r-a-y has patch for dev feedback.

Fix for profile image upload on Microsoft Edge breaks iOS Safari and Chrome (#7416) @r-a-y has patch. Needs a Mac user to test.

Take advantage of BP_Groups_Group magic methods in groups component setup (#7416) @dcavins has patch. Ready to commit. Dev feedback requested.

BP_PHPMailer needs to set the `Date` header (#7509) @r-a-y has committed fix to trunk.

Test depends on PHP EXIF support; should fail more gracefully when absent (#7432) @r-a-y has committed fix to trunk.

{{user.site_url}} token not using HTTPS when site is on SSL (#7508) @r-a-y has committed fix to trunk.

BP Use Cases from BP Developers/Site Builders

@mercime announced that guest posts from BP Developers/Site Builders will be published soon at BuddyPress.org. The first batch of informative and interesting case studies have been submitted by developers who signed up during the BuddyPress 2016 Survey.

Slack logs:
April 19: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1492628459684302
April 26: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1493233250835528

#dev-chat

Dev Chat Summaries for April 5 & 12, 2017

bp-nouveau template pack

@hnla reported on the bug and a11y fixes made on bp-nouveau to date. He has added a temporary Gruntfile.js, primarily for compiling and linting Sass files, as well as other project-specific configuration files. @mercime will be posting solutions in codepen for removing placeholders from form controls.

Many thanks to @boonebgorges for delving deeply into bp-nouveau and his post introducing the new template pack.

BP REST API

@rayisme has started work on the /members endpoint for the BP REST API locally. He raised a question at the Github repo re Members – GET – List Users Schema. @modemlooper has responded in ticket.

@rayisme noted, “We’ll definitely have the /members endpoint ready by the time BP 2.9 is done, but probably will not be merged into core. The BP REST API will stay as a plugin for at least the next few release cycles until things have been fleshed out, similar to how the WP REST API was a plugin for awhile.”

Trac Tickets

Allow bp_get_group_permalink() to produce HTML links (#7485) @dcavins has committed fix to trunk.

Update bp_group_description_excerpt() to accept a $length param (#7493) @hnla has patch. @dcavins has responded to keep the group as the first parameter.

Required xprofile fields are not validated (#7483) @hnla has confirmed issue reported in ticket. Needs patch.

groups_send_invites() should allow us to omit sending to users that have already received an invite (#7397) @rayisme will be refreshing the patch for BP 2.9.

Include BP Edit Group Slug into the core (#6014) @dcavins refreshed the patch including unit tests. New patch adds support for changing group slug via wp-admin. Dev feedback requested.

Take advantage of BP_Groups_Group magic methods in groups component setup (#7494) @dcavins has patch. Dev feedback requested.

Use JOIN rather than Subquery on user search (#7442) @brandonliles has patch. Dev feedback requested.

Harmful bp_activity indexes (#7500) @johnjamesjacoby in discussion with @brandonliles.

Deprecate the BuddyPress functions for bbPress 1.x forums (#6851) @johnjamesjacoby introduced a motion to “remove bp-forums pretty much completely, or relegate it to its own compatibility plugin like we did Wire and Status.”
@boonebgorges concurred with the compat plugin route and noted, “I’d like to stage it over maybe two releases, with large warnings in the interim release if you are running legacy forums. Maybe even block upgrade to the removing-version if we detect you are running it (like we did with the 5.3 requirement). How many of them will upgrade to BP 3.0 or 3.1, that’s another question. But it’s easy enough for us to create barriers to white screens, so we should do so.” @johnjamesjacoby: “Making this release ideal for the warning. I think the 3.0.0 release is a nice round number to cut the old legacy forum cord, too.” @boonebgorges: “So admin notices + upgrade-blocks for 2.9, and maybe some logic in 3.0 that prevents loading the full plugin if the compat plugin is not found. Someone will need to wrangle all of the necessary steps, including preparing and releasing the compat plugin.”
@johnjamesjacoby has volunteered for the tasks, “the pleasure of the pain will all be mine.”

Create administration sections for every component that’s currently lacking an interface

@johnjamesjacoby: Friends, Messages, and Notifications basically. “Preferably, I’d like to also stagger the work on those, so the expectation isn’t to have a 100% fully covered and integrated interface that covers all users and use-cases. Similar to Groups Admin (how you can’t create a new group from within wp-admin). I really also want a live-chat style Messages UI while you’re in wp-admin”
@boonebgorges: “Big +1 to more admin coverage, though we should think carefully about whether each of these BP components needs its own top-level item. (Friends may be properly a property of Users, rather than its own thing, or whatever).”
@johnjamesjacoby: “Right now, all of BuddyPress makes theme-side websites better, and that’s awesome, and it should, and always will. But once you enter wp-admin, BuddyPress doesn’t actually help WordPress itself be a better piece of software for managing users, community content, etc. We don’t need to talk about all of the detail-work right now, but I wanted to drop that vision in here now, so everyone has an idea of what I’m thinking, and we can maybe try to hit that vision hard in 3.0 and beyond. Hopefully 2.9 and Nouveau and everything else will keep the traditional BuddyPress installation type satisfied for a few years, enough time to work on REST API, wp-admin integration, maybe some GraphQL if we like that, etc.”

BP Theme Compatibility

A basic visualization of the BuddyPress Theme Compat is now available for bp-templates/bp-legacy. Use Ctl/Cmd +/- to zoom in/out, scroll up/down or click + drag right/left to navigate. Visualizations for bbPress Theme Compat and the upcoming bp-nouveau template pack are also in the works.

Slack logs:
https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1491418861341587
https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1492023677928317
(Slack account is required)

#dev-chat

Dev Chat Summary for March 29, 2017

BuddyPress 2.9

  • There are currently 35 tickets in queue (8 closed, 27 open).
  • June 7, 2017 – Beta 1

bp-nouveau

@hnla gave a project status update. He will also be “tending to ongoing styling /layout concerns plus adding to the project cards. In terms of primary work the core focus needs to be on the Switcher element in core as outlined in #7157 – UI to pick Template Packs.”

Trac Tickets

Improve message after successful group invitation acceptance (#7486) @dcavins has patch. Will hold committing till after #7485 is resolved.

Allow `bp_get_group_permalink()` to produce HTML links (#7485) @dcavins has patch.

Multisite Relevant emails Display for editing on single site (#7480) c/o @johnjamesjacoby

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function `get_do_autolink()` on null (#7337) needs patch.

`BP_Groups_Group::group_exists()` should be cached (#7447) @dcavins has committed fix to trunk.

Only load component action and screen code when we’re on the component’s page (#7218) @rayisme has patch. Feedback requested.

Include BP Edit Group Slug into the core (#6014) @dcavins has updated patch. Feedback requested.

Messages: member page messages are queried for the loggedin user (#7096) @dcavins has updated patch. Feedback requested.

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1490813828429272

BuddyPress 2016 Survey Results

https://buddypress.org/2017/04/2016-buddypress-survey-results/

Languages used in BuddyPress sites

#survey

BP 2.9 Kick-Off Meeting – March 22, 2017

BP 2.9 Scoping/Wishlist

bp-nouveau Template Pack

@hnla, 2.9 Release Lead, will focus on getting bp-nouveau ready for integration into core this dev cycle. He noted, “bp-nouveau represents a clean break from those older templates, clean markup, new styles new file structure with include files and function files managing components and affords us the opportunity to build a better BP than ever before.”

@hnla encouraged all core devs to have a local install running the plugin version and to reconvene at next meeting for a renewed focus & to air any concerns. He has added the following guides to the project for all who want to contribute:

  • Milestones: https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/milestones
  • Project cards: https://github.com/buddypress/next-template-packs/projects

The major steps to get this project for inclusion are pretty much covered by the milestones but broadly fall into:
1. Core integration: adding the switching mechanism to core admin settings, working out the logic for default selection & some means of registering packs in use.
2. Testing the process for stylesheet building and testing the core files merged to trunk along with possible gruntfile adjustments required.
3. Testing of components by device( mobile/ desktop & browser versions) and testing.
4. Testing Accessibility.

@boonebgorges: “I share Hugo’s belief that the time has come to move beyond bp-legacy, and I think that a new set of templates is critical for the future of the project. I’m going to be working with Hugo over the next few weeks to develop some materials that’ll introduce the rest of the team to the workings of bp-nouveau, as well as more details on a plan for moving toward merge, with the idea of soliciting as much energy and contribution from the broader team as possible.” He will help to get bp-nouveau in for 2.9.

@mercime noted that per her initial a11y audit of bp-nouveau (last year), there were items which needed to be fixed in core first. Edit – Most items have been fixed, there are only a few remaining a11y issues which will affect template pack left in core.

@modemlooper likes the Template Pack UI in admin which he thinks will open up lots of customization … spawning child themes of bp-nouveau.

@dcavins volunteered to help with bp-nouveau. @hnla mentioned his concerns with group creation wanted it more a one step process that we could then paginate if we wanted to but accessing certain meta is hard such as group ID at some points where you need it. @dcavins: “I also have some feelings about group creation. (Like change it to one step then redirect to the new group to setup.)”

@boonebgorges will be working on a summary document about bp-nouveau’s status plus user-facing and developer-oriented features over the next week or so.

BP REST API

@rayisme would like to see where we’re currently at and what we can accomplish in this dev cycle. @boonebgorges responded, “it needs someone to take the lead – there was some initial work done on the Members endpoint but it needs to be seen through.”

BuddyPress.org Redesign

@hnla brought up the redesign site/mockups by @modemlooper and @karmatosed and wanted to know the best way to get the redesign implemented.

@rayisme: “There are elements I like about both. modemlooper’s orange header + iconfont section and karmatosed’s “Are you a user / developer” section. At first, I didn’t like the orange header, but I like that it’s a little in-your-face.”

@modemlooper‘s design was à la https://jetpack.com/ and said, “the design reboot started because I thought the homepage lacked alot of marketing points.” @karmatosed thought that doing original design is good. She’s happy to noodle some more.

@johnjamesjacoby: “Naturally, I have opinions, but mostly I really want all of y’all to feel like these themes are yours to create/enjoy also. It seems like everyone is still in the “I wonder what this or that might look or feel like” which is totally fine. No rush, no agenda, and if something naturally suddenly clicks into the place, we should head that direction.”

Dev Chat Schedule

This is a friendly reminder that starting Wednesday, March 29, dev chat at the #buddypress channel on Slack.com will be at 19:00 UTC through the end of Daylight Savings Time for both U.S. and Europe.

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1490212929620791
(Slack account is required)

#bp-nouveau, #dev-chat

Dev Chats as of March 15, 2017

BuddyPress 2.9 Schedule

  • March 22 – Kick off
  • June 7 – Beta 1
  • June 14 – Beta 2
  • June 28 – Release Candidate 1 – String freeze
  • July 5 – BP 2.9.0 Target Release Date

@hnla, BP 2.9 Release Lead, looks forward to discussing project scope/focus/tasks with the team on March 22.

Dev Chat Schedule

Daylight Savings Time for the United States started Sunday, March 12, while DST in Europe will begin on March 26. In keeping with schedule adjustments from previous years, following is the schedule of our dev chat till further notice:

  • March 22 – BP Dev chat will remain at 20:00 UTC (4:00 P.M. EST / 1:00 P.M. PST for U.S. residents).
  • March 29 through end of DST – Dev Chat will be moved to 19:00 UTC.

BuddyPress.org Redesign

  • The redesign of BuddyPress.org has been discussed many times over a number of years.
  • Feb. 22: @modemlooper initiated discussion this year about BuddyPress.org colors, adding a showcase page, work on the product side, among other things. He also posted some screenshots on that day and following days to ask for feedback.
  • March 6: @modemlooper set up a responsive demo site.
    March 6 - modemlooper initial design
  • March 15: @karmatosed uploaded her design  during dev chat. She mentioned @djpaul asked her to look at a BuddyPress.org redesign last year.
    March 15 - karmatosed design
  • Other notes:
    • Redesign is also needed for codex.buddypress.org plus a new design for developer.buddypress.org to hold the BP developer reference which @tw2113 has on his site https://trexthepirate.com/buddypress/
    • BuddyPress.org themes are located at https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/browser/sites/trunk/buddypress.org/public_html/wp-content/themes

Slack log: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBYUG/p1489608197865211

#dev-chat

BP Codex Summary for 2016

Status Update

There were three BP major releases (2.5.0, 2.6.0, and 2.7.0) and 18 minor releases by the all-volunteer BuddyPress contributors in 2016. These activities have generated the following stats for the codex to date:

  • 13 New Articles
  • 21 Release Change Logs
  • 43 Articles Updated

Props to Codex Contributors, 2016

Many thanks to everyone who contributed new articles or updated published posts from January 1 – December 31, 2016!

#codex