- See previously BP Dev Chat summary (July 20, 2022)
- In attendance: @dcavins @espellcaste @tw2113 @boonebgorges @im4th
- Slack archive.
10.4.0 Maintenance release
- @im4th & @dcavins had another look to the fix applied in #8715 and agreed it was the right move to avoid having the page to send group invites viewable by non-members of the group (even if it’s not usable to actually invite people to join the group).
- This fix is the main reason why @im4th thinks we need to package a maintenance release.
- Decision was made to release 10.4.0
before next dev-chat(as dev-chat is tomorrow, it’s more likely to happen before the end of the week, sorry for this delay 😞).
11.0.0 tickets needing attention
.webpimage support for user profile images & user cover images. @dcavins gave his feedback about it & thanks to it @im4th improved the patch and committed it. In 11.0.0, you’ll be able to use a
.webpimage to set your profile photo or cover image 🙌 ✅.
- #7614 Group members count routine needed improvements. @dcavins will give a deeper look to it. @im4th suggested to put in place a specific repair tool to eventually perform a recount for out of sync group members counts. This suggestion led to a longer discussion later during the chat see this part of the summary.
- Some other tickets were discussed during the chat:
- #8604 @dcavins & @im4th agreed generating a richer content for mini activities when they are displayed into single items is a bit “too much”. We’ve decided to bring back mini displays for these activities in these areas. In other words, Richer content will only be generated when viewing these mini activities into the Activity Site Wide directory. See this commit for more information about it.
- #4535 @dcavins volunteered to work on adapting @im4th first patch so that it also fixes the issue about activity duplicates when loading the load more button for the BP Legacy template pack.
- Let’s introduce a mechanism to safely upgrade a big range of data in batch. This was the subject of the long discussion we had first, calling @boonebgorges to the rescue 🦸🏼♂️. To go straight to the point, he suggested us to use the same mechanism he included into WordPress Core when he needed to upgrade taxonomies to achieve shared-term-splitting, because “you have to make sure that upgrades of this sort degrade gracefully. You have to leave logic in place for what happens when a site hasn’t run through its upgrade routine“. He shared with us links to the key parts of the WordPress code so that we can get some inspiration from his work 😍.
- BuddyPress PHP Code Standards: @espellcaste suggested to create a custom BuddyPress PHPCS ruleset that any BP project can use. @im4th agreed it was a good idea and this GH repository has been created to house this ruleset. @espellcaste‘s plan is to progressively improve BP Core’s code so that it comply with this ruleset. It’s a lot of work and if some of you want to give him a hand, you’re very welcome.
It will happen tomorrow on August 17 at 19:30 UTC in #BuddyPress. Here’s our agenda :
- Latest improvements to our PHP Unit tests suite.
- #8722 Progress about the reNouveau template pack
- Progress about the tickets that were mentioned into this summary (#4535, #7614) & BP Attachments.
- Open floor
Thanks in advance to the contributors who will join this chat 🙏🤝